RESOLVEDSome rattle inside tubeless wheel. Please need your opinion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Question ❓❓❓

I have something rattling inside the rear wheel.

It wasn't like that before.
All spokes and nipples are intact.

Maybe is a ball of dried up sealant???

I use Orange seal Regular and Endurance/ which supposed to dry much slower/...
Bike has been in motion for exactly 2months.

I keep the bike inside the apt.

But last week during the weeklong heatwave it stayed in very hot mon AC'd room.

I even added some sealant oh Friday, prior to Macedonia GG and this when I noticed the rattle.

It is only at low Rpm/speed, once it gets faster it stops ,cause is spinning with the wheel.

Àny thoughts, ideas, suggestions,???

P.S. don't want to break the bead, cause the tire is holding so well and there's nothing from front wheel.

But I remember adding sealant 2 times after initial setup so I must had a lot of sealant inside, probably more than 100-110 ml/almost 4oz./ In each tire...

Wheels are Zipp
S303, with Conti Terra speed 700x40

I noticed the rattle on Thursday July 28, then filled with more sealant on Friday and rode a 60mi/96 km gravel event on Sunday The 31st of July and there was some gnarly terrain at times.

Thank you for your time
BTW the rear tire got a hole a month ago, but was able to seal OK.

LMK
Regards Andy 👍
Last edited by andy4g63 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miller

by Miller

You can't diagnose this until you unmount the tyre and investigate - are you bothered enough to do that? My first thought is a loose bit of carbon rattling around inside the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Miller wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:51 pm
You can't diagnose this until you unmount the tyre and investigate - are you bothered enough to do that? My first thought is a loose bit of carbon rattling around inside the rim.
I am pretty sure it is not.
The wheel was silent.until recently.

I have small piece carbon in the front wheel, but that was from the very beginning and it occurred after I installed the tubeless valve/probably when they drilled the hole thee material stayed and got loose after I put the valve.This one is very light and doesn't bother me.

The one in rear is louder and it sounds much bigger...

Also how does one remove left over sealant without spilling, prior of removal of tire to clean old sealant???

bobones

by bobones

andy4g63 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:45 pm
Also how does one remove left over sealant without spilling, prior of removal of tire to clean old sealant???
You can use a syringe through valve hole to suck up any leftover sealant, but in general, you can unseat and remove a tyre without spilling the sealant if you're reasonably careful. You can then use a syringe to suck up liquid sealant directly from the tyre inner.

Miller

by Miller

Or, you dismount the tyre outside where a sealant spillage doesn't matter. Because there *will* be sealant spillage.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Have you ever used a DynaPlug on the tire?

I have had an “urchin” of Orange Seal grow inside a tire a couple of times, but they are soft and pretty tiny and didn’t make any perceptible noise.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:19 pm
Have you ever used a DynaPlug on the tire?

I have had an “urchin” of Orange Seal grow inside a tire a couple of times, but they are soft and pretty tiny and didn’t make any perceptible noise.
No I haven't, the only one time it had puncture it sealed well.

Hmm I think I have to unseat the tire after all.

Thanks for replying guys

kode54

by kode54

Could be a piece of bladder that was still intact when the majority was removed. Recent rides may have jossled it loose.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

usr

by usr

I wouldn't expect small objects within the tire to be described as "rattle", in the tire objects would either be too small/silent to be perceived at all or inspire other words. A rattle are objects in the rim chamber, e.g. I once had a tiny magnet superglued inside the chamber for the speed sensor, but it repeatedly broke loose, eventuality shattered and tiny shards of magnet and/or glue remained rattling in the wheel.

I accidentally fixed it when I unknowingly filled the chamber with water during the Great Tire Bead Battle of 2021. It seemed like a very dark hour, when after finally achieving tire seat I noticed that the wheel had gained a multiple of its dry weight in ballast water, but after *again* unmounting the tire to allow the deluge out the rim was permanently silent

andreas

by andreas

My Zipp 303S had manufacturing debris in the rim cavity, I had to fiddle to pick them out over the first two weeks that I used the wheels, as new pieces continuously loosened. I contacted SRAM and sent them pictures, they confirmed it was just manufacturing leftovers and that the rim itself was intact. I guess that's what you get with "cheap" wheels.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

usr wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 pm
I wouldn't expect small objects within the tire to be described as "rattle", in the tire objects would either be too small/silent to be perceived at all or inspire other words. A rattle are objects in the rim chamber, e.g. I once had a tiny magnet superglued inside the chamber for the speed sensor, but it repeatedly broke loose, eventuality shattered and tiny shards of magnet and/or glue remained rattling in the wheel.

I accidentally fixed it when I unknowingly filled the chamber with water during the Great Tire Bead Battle of 2021. It seemed like a very dark hour, when after finally achieving tire seat I noticed that the wheel had gained a multiple of its dry weight in ballast water, but after *again* unmounting the tire to allow the deluge out the rim was permanently silent

The tip of a DynaPlug tumbling inside a tire definitely rattles somewhat. Luckily this hasn't happened since I stopped futzing with the plugs as much upon insertion.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I finally pulled the tire out and found inside a small piece of glass, about a 8-9 mm long, triangular shape, the shorter side is may be 4 mm long.

My question is ❓❓❓
How the f"*k this object got inside the tire???

It is almost impossible for it to penetrate the tire and then stay inside, even if it did it would have been a big cut and the tire wouldn't seal at all.

I checked with my fingers the inside of tire, no cuts or anything, no dried sealant either.

LMK what you think.
Attachments
IMG_20220806_071155.jpg
IMG_20220806_071147.jpg
IMG_20220806_071135.jpg
IMG_20220806_071033.jpg

MikeD

by MikeD

I've got a slight rattle inside my aluminum rim. Something got inside the rim cavity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com