concern with carbon brake track wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ezno

by ezno

I have three sets of Tubeless carbon wheels that I have used on the same rim brake bike. The newest set are Hunt 36 UD Carbon Spoke. I use the same tubeless tires and the same approx psi. on all three wheelsets. The Hunt wheels, I only have about 300 miles on (hill climbs) and I am already seeing and feeling wear on brake track. The other two wheel sets show no brake track wear and look the same as when I bought them and I've used them on the same hills. The Reynolds and Schmolke wheels have a different carbon weave or setup on there brake track then the rest of the rim. The Hunt brake track looked and felt the same as the rest of the rim when they were new.(not any more :shock: ) On the Hunt web site it states,"Griptec friction brake-track with 3K reinforcement". I contacted Hunt with pics today via "warranty help" on there web site and will follow up with what the say. I bought them in May, 2022 so I'm not worried about warranty, but I was very happy with the rims, and they were very good dry braking with the Hunt supplied brake pads. They were very quite braking and better braking power than the Reynolds and Schmolke. I checked brake pad wear on all three wheelsets and wear was even with all three. Is this "Griptec 3k reiforcement" something new?
Pics are of all three wheelset brake tracks:
Attachments
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com