Sub-Kilo XC Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I usually do superlight road wheels, but here's a set just built with the new Extralite Hypersmart hubs, Pillar ti spokes, and Nextie tubular rims. Yes, some of us still use tubular for all applications.
987g without rotors. Not bad for metal spokes, but I have yet to try Berd or PiRope fiber spokes.
Attachments
XC.Hypersmart.Pair.side.jpg
XC.Hypersmart.Pair.scale.jpg

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I’ve got a set of old DT Swiss XRC 950Ts laying around. For very specific applications, they are really hard to beat.

They’d be great if I lived in a place with round as opposed to square-edged rocks now. Fortunately, I live in the western US, where fractured rock is everywhere.

Also, no one makes a 2.4 tubular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Assuming you mean a 2.4" wide tubular tire, these Nextie rims are 31mm wide, and will definitely take a 2.2 tire (another set already has that combo).

Dugast & Tufo make 2.2s, also Challenge but they've been out of stock for more than a year.
FMB might do some on request.

Erwin

by Erwin

UpFromOne wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 pm
I usually do superlight road wheels, but here's a set just built with the new Extralite Hypersmart hubs, Pillar ti spokes, and Nextie tubular rims. Yes, some of us still use tubular for all applications.
987g without rotors. Not bad for metal spokes, but I have yet to try Berd or PiRope fiber spokes.
What do you think about the Extralite Hypersmart 3? I want to build up a wheelset with the Hypersmart 3 or the SPD-3. What do you think is more suitable for road racing. I think SPD-3 will be a little bit more slickier and perhaps a very little bit more aero, but I like the freehub with ratchet more than the two pawls in the Cyberrear (have a SPD-2 with MCFK 35 rims and a Cyberrear with my AX25). I would be very interested what you think about it. Thank you.