Sub 1.4kg 50mm AliExpress Carbon Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joeeboh

by joeeboh

Ok so this seller I've been chatting with claims to be able to build a sub-1.4kg, 50mm deep carbon clinchers laced to sapim cx ray and powerway r13 hubs.

He's quoting me slightly north of 4 bills for this.

Has anyone done this before? This seems like a winning build for me and I am very tempted. I've previously purchased wheels from this seller without any issue.

Should I take the plunge?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Orlok

by Orlok

If you have purchased wheels from this seller without any issue why not.?
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

I built a set of 38s using Deerobust 20/24 glossy 12k rims from AliE, CX-Ray spokes, and R13 hubs that came in around 1330g and cost me about £380 all in (I got the hubs super cheap from Zuus liquidation sale on eBay), so sub 1400g 50s for $400+ should be possible. Check the width of the rims as some of the light ones are a bit narrow, and watch out for import tax and VAT so perhaps ask seller to pay that in advance.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

My custom wheelset from Timetec Bike with 45mm rims in 3K finish + Sapim CX + DT Swiss 180 EXP came in at 1260, now-ish 1300g after I had the front rim replaced (warranty).

Paid something like $1000 or 1100 USD. Felt like a steal so cheap. About 100kg weight limit and I have had zero issues on +10 000km with my 83kg riding it.

Extremely light, only way to go lighter is using Berd spokes but then it is also a different price leauge. But if you mean 4 bills like $400 USD that is insane for 1400g.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

As it's a rim brake wheelset, seems pretty possible to me.
As mentioned above, check the rim width as a particularly narrow rim could be used by the builder to save weight.

joeeboh

by joeeboh

I ended up going for a 1450g listed 50mm laced to pillar 1420 with some light novatec hubs (front and rear are a quoted 288g combined).

I requested for 27 ED 19 ID rims, so I'm guessing a more reasonable 1.5kg will be the actual weight. this will put it above prime's blackeditions, but at almost half the price.

Took about 2 hours to place my order via taobao from another seller and I wouldn't say it's the smoothest buying experience.

Not sure what to expect, but I paid less than 400 all-in for these. I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by joeeboh on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeeboh

by joeeboh

bobones wrote:I built a set of 38s using Deerobust 20/24 glossy 12k rims from AliE, CX-Ray spokes, and R13 hubs that came in around 1330g and cost me about £380 all in (I got the hubs super cheap from Zuus liquidation sale on eBay), so sub 1400g 50s for $400+ should be possible. Check the width of the rims as some of the light ones are a bit narrow, and watch out for import tax and VAT so perhaps ask seller to pay that in advance.
You're the guy with the spitfire right? I'm planning to use this set on the frame I bought. Ex VAT, the frame was slightly above 400 quid for me.

Looks like this is going to be an interesting budget build.

bobones

by bobones

Yes, that's me. Your wheel spec sounds great and should work out well with the Spitfire. Total bargain, love mine! What size frame did you get and what else are you putting on it?

joeeboh

by joeeboh

a mix of dura ace (shifters derailleurs) and campy parts (brakes and crank).

frame is slightly porky at about 1.6kilos though.

bobones

by bobones

joeeboh wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm
I think that's par for the course for standard Ti. My current complete build is 8kg with PM pedals, cages, mounts, light alu wheels and tyres.

joeeboh

by joeeboh

bobones wrote:
joeeboh wrote:
I think that's par for the course for standard Ti. My current complete build is 8kg with PM pedals, cages, mounts, light alu wheels and tyres.
I've built up mine and it weighs 7.9kg with the carbon wheels.

I am thinking of putting 32c panaracer gravelkings on wide alu rims. do you reckon they'll fit?

bobones

by bobones

joeeboh wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:24 pm
bobones wrote:
joeeboh wrote:
I've built up mine and it weighs 7.9kg with the carbon wheels.

I am thinking of putting 32c panaracer gravelkings on wide alu rims. do you reckon they'll fit?

32 is pushing it. It's the height more than the width that's the limiter for me. My 30s are closest under front caliper and at seat tube, but no problems with width. In theory wider rim will reduce height if your calipers can cope. I guess you won't know until you try, but I woudn't be too hopeful.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Campag brakes can be a little tight in my experience so I think 32mm tyres would be too much for them.
If you were willing to throw money at the situation, eeBrakes may have enough room for them.

dgdracing

by dgdracing

For my budget TT Bike (GCN style) I have ordered the cheapest carbon rimbrake wheels I could find on Ali Express for 230 Euros.They are true, heavy (1,8kg) but run without problems. Even the brake pads are usable (in the dry). So I am looking forward to buying more stuff (Seka RDC + Hyper wheels) in the mid-future :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com