totally baffled with Extralite spec's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andydarcy

by andydarcy

hi guys
i need some info on wheel building with a Extralite Hyper boost 3 F
ive tried asking Extralite for info but it seems that im banging my head against a wall
i asked about Spoke.End.Dianmeter and the spoke lengths they put up on the site

Question is are these hubs set up for 2 or 3 cross lacing on a straight pull if that sounds right...
ie. 2 cross N.D.S and 3 cross on the Ds
i want to use DT SwissXR331 29er 28 hole rims ERD is 606mm with Sapim CX Ray Aero Spokes

any help would be grateful

Andy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

The lacing drawing on extralite website shows a 3 cross for both side of the hub and spoke end diameter is just another way to saying ERD.

If you already have the hub you can confirm this by checking with a few spoke placed in the hub. Straight-pull hub don't give you choice on the number of crossing.

Quick check on wheelpro calculator confirms Extralite spoke length table that you need 306mm spoke for both side with the XR331 rim (606mm ERD)

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/?a ... &g=0&e=&r=

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

You don't use a generic spoke calc with Extralite, they have their own for each model:

https://extralite.com/Products/wheel build Hyper3.htm

The ERD they use can be determioned by taking your rim, inserting 2 (long) spokes on opposite sides, and measuring the total diameter, nipple end to nipple end end.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

When I built a wheel with an Extralite front hub, their directions for spoke lengths were perfect.

Measure ERD and use the directions on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andydarcy

by andydarcy

hi guys
thankss for the heads up..
i tried getting an answer from Extralite but i found this a problem
they tbh were not very helpful - even though thay say to speak to a professional wheel builder, which i took to being them...
if they had said that the spokes were the same length ie 306 mm on all of the them but that you had to lace them in a correct way i would have been happy with that...
i am a competant wheel builder with several years building wheels for myself and a few people and had no problems...
ill just add this to the mind vault of wheel building i suppose...

Thanks for the advise and input..

Regards

Andy

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

One other thing. The spoke cross depends on the number of holes. 28 holes is often 2x, whereas 24 hole hubs are often 2x.

For each hub there is only one way to spoke the wheel, and their ERD chart takes that into account.
Each hub flange is designed to point the spoke in one direction only. It would be really difficult and awkward to cross the spokes different than what the spoke tabs dictate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Oh, and I have to add an Extralite mind-bender:

Take a close look at how the straight-pull spoke tabs are oriented and located on the hub shell.
A tab on the disc side is NOT centered between 2 tabs on the drive side. They are asymmetrically located on the shell!
Yet Extralite claims the spoke lengths are equal on both sides for many of their models.
How'd they do that?