Partington Wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ccie6872

by ccie6872

I personally haven't heard about them until now and seams to be very very niche. Does anyone have real world experience with them?

https://www.partington.cc/

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

My mate has a set, came from Zipp 454 NSW and reckons the Partingtons transformed the feel of the bike. He got a discount on the wheels of a couple grand by contacting Partington directly. They have treated him as a bit of a beta tester, getting feedback from him and sent him a couple updated wheelsets with refinements to the hub - unsure if this was part of the agreement with getting a discount.

The bad: he hit a pothole at speed and delaminated the rear rim, unfortunately the crash warranty isnt great and he was offered an at cost repair, which was ~$2500.

That said he would but them again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

I have a pair of Partington. I got it very early when they just launched and there is a huge discount for early birds. Didn't have any chance to compare to other wheels as they are the only pair of disc carbon wheel that I have. They are so far so good. No complain from me. Mine came in at 1250g for the pair, which is probably one of the lightest disc carbon wheel out there. The only issue I have with them is the valve hole. It is a tad small and not all tubes valve can fit through. I've tried all lightweight TPU tubes like PZero SmarTube and Revoloop Ultra but none of their valve can fit through. End up with Vittoria Latex which is ok.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Curious if anyone has any real feedback on the new R-SERIES MKII R39/44

Berzin1

by Berzin1

$6,399.00 US is the price for a pair, disc brake only. GTFOH with that.

Wookski

by Wookski

I know a couple of people over here in Australia who ride them and absolutely love them. Big money but very interesting tech (seem to be an improvement on Lightweights)- the entire manufacturing process is completed in Australia.

jb

by jb

I have the new MKll.
The weight is 1190gr.
The ride is good,the feel is fast and stiff.
My weight is around 100kilo and even when i am out of the saddle the wheels don't flex.
I do not tried if a tpu innertubevalve fits in this new version.
I have the feel that i feel the crosswind a little bit more as the other wheelsets i owned i guess its because of the thicker spokes. But its difficult to judge.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

TwiggyForest wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:51 am
My mate has a set, came from Zipp 454 NSW and reckons the Partingtons transformed the feel of the bike. He got a discount on the wheels of a couple grand by contacting Partington directly. They have treated him as a bit of a beta tester, getting feedback from him and sent him a couple updated wheelsets with refinements to the hub - unsure if this was part of the agreement with getting a discount.

The bad: he hit a pothole at speed and delaminated the rear rim, unfortunately the crash warranty isnt great and he was offered an at cost repair, which was ~$2500.

That said he would but them again.
Update, the warranty has improved. However my mate has gone through 6 sets, 2 cracked rims from hitting potholes, 4 issues with creaking hubs. He was on mk1 wheels initially and I believe they were doing design tweaks to the hubs as they replaced to address the issues.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

jb wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:00 pm
I have the new MKll.
The weight is 1190gr.
The ride is good,the feel is fast and stiff.
My weight is around 100kilo and even when i am out of the saddle the wheels don't flex.
I do not tried if a tpu innertubevalve fits in this new version.
I have the feel that i feel the crosswind a little bit more as the other wheelsets i owned i guess its because of the thicker spokes. But its difficult to judge.
Thank you! Any compares to other high-end wheels (e.g. LW?) Would you buy them again?

jb

by jb

Longtime ago i had the LW Meilenstein for rimbrakes,but they were 200 grams heavier.
If i would buy them again.....i do not know.
The price different is hugh in comparison with,for example,a Duke 45/48/52 rim with DT 240 or 180 hubs. Another wheelset i have and which i am very satisfied of.

Matte86

by Matte86

jb wrote:Longtime ago i had the LW Meilenstein for rimbrakes,but they were 200 grams heavier.
If i would buy them again.....i do not know.
The price different is hugh in comparison with,for example,a Duke 45/48/52 rim with DT 240 or 180 hubs. Another wheelset i have and which i am very satisfied of.
I’m interested in buying a set of Duke with Extralite hubs. Which combo of Duke rims do you have?
I know they developed Partington mkII wheels with a lot of CFD and other studies and Dave Rome at EC has a set now for an in-depth review coming soon.. he hinted though that in the high cost of Partington you need to account this vs other ‘low’ cost rims.. maybe more than Duke he was referring to the plethora of new Chinese Carbon wheels

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Personally i would never buy these. A small company, super niche and ridiculously expensive.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Erwin

by Erwin

Never ever. Only for being exclusive or some bling on your bike. Technically no improvements. Duke rims (or similar) with Tactic hubs is still expensive, but perhaps even lighter.

cberg

by cberg

I dont really see lightweight alone as a good selling point as long as I can go on Farsports or similar and order a wheelset in the 1150g range for about 20% of the price of these wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Erwin wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:36 am
Never ever. Only for being exclusive or some bling on your bike. Technically no improvements. Duke rims (or similar) with Tactic hubs is still expensive, but perhaps even lighter.
Duke Baccara X 56mm with tactic hubs 1290gr including tape. Love them and rated to 120kg.
Considered partingtons way back but given the issues I read here I'm glad I never did. For that price I have 2.5 dukes sets with tactic hubs. I have Duke rims 48 on rim brake with dt180 40k km and work like a charm.

Now I'm the process of building up reserve 52/63 with tactic hubs 1/5 the price

Except for exclusivity I don't see any point anymore in partington and even more in things like LW.