Is Road Hookless dangerous?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sadly hookless seems to be the trend these days!
I am not feeling really comfortable riding hookless. In the rear of my head i kind of think, shit, what if this goes to hell when i corner.
No tubes Avion has a minimum tire size of 25mm, but then you need to use an inner tube.
These are hookless 21mm internal width.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

meditationride

by meditationride

I don't think it's dangerous but there is currently no verification for the bike industry and their quality control.
As far as I know there are no laws or regulations governing build/quality standards. There are no third party mandatory testing. The hookless/tubeless ISO is barely a few years old and we are relying upon the good will and word of manufacturers which is inherently biased.
Put it short, the verify part of "trust but verify" is missing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Veto

by Veto

Looks like Annamiek van Vleuten crashed in Worlds Mixed Relay TT because of a tyre blowing off a hookless rim. All speculation at this point but still... Yikes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Veto wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:43 am
Looks like Annamiek van Vleuten crashed in Worlds Mixed Relay TT because of a tyre blowing off a hookless rim. All speculation at this point but still... Yikes.
She said her tire exploded, but the video shows otherwise.

The tire is intact and she’s already going down. Her foot also seems to be unclipped.
Attachments
AE718C2F-0253-46DC-8BC7-B87401BAF70A.jpeg

kervelo

by kervelo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:49 am
Veto wrote:
She said her tire exploded, but the video shows otherwise.

The tire is intact and she’s already going down. Her foot also seems to be unclipped.
She also later commented that the tyre explosion did not cause the crash.

hartox

by hartox

I've been riding hookless rims (23mm internal) with tubeless tires (28mm Schwalbe Pro One) for 3 years (20.000km) now and never had a problem. This includes criterium and classic road races. 4 Bar max with my 68kg. I must admit, the first rides I was a bit carefull, but nowadays I don't even think about it anymore.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Veto wrote:
Tire comes off with contact to barrier.. not the cause
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AW84

by AW84

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:25 pm
Veto wrote:
That the tire came off period still seems a bit concerning to me. It's pretty hard to get a clincher (save for maybe a very flexible cotton tire) to come completely off the rim in any circumstance. When I flat, I'd kinda' prefer to roll to a stop on the rubber, not the carbon.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

AW84 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:10 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:25 pm
Veto wrote:
That the tire came off period still seems a bit concerning to me. It's pretty hard to get a clincher (save for maybe a very flexible cotton tire) to come completely off the rim in any circumstance. When I flat, I'd kinda' prefer to roll to a stop on the rubber, not the carbon.
that rim is destroyed.. no clincher would still be attached either.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Right behind the ramp:
A few meters later:
[url=https://de.imgbb.com/]

Looks like the derailleur hanger broke or something.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Nickldn

by Nickldn

So with hooked wheels, usually the tyre would remain attached to the rim in case of a puncture (not talking about a blowout, or other catastrophic failure) and it should be possible to roll to a controlled halt.

With hookless wheels, is there anything substantial to hold the tyre in place once there is no air pressure? The tyre is wedged in the channel between the inner sides of the wheel, but I guess it would not take much force to dislodge it without a hook holding it in place.

Am I wrong about this, is there a secondary retention system once there is no air pressure?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:55 pm
So with hooked wheels, usually the tyre would remain attached to the rim in case of a puncture (not talking about a blowout, or other catastrophic failure) and it should be possible to roll to a controlled halt.

With hookless wheels, is there anything substantial to hold the tyre in place once there is no air pressure? The tyre is wedged in the channel between the inner sides of the wheel, but I guess it would not take much force to dislodge it without a hook holding it in place.

Am I wrong about this, is there a secondary retention system once there is no air pressure?

I've had 3 flats (or cuts or other mechanicals) that have basically caused insta-flat on hookless tubeless setup. The tires stayed on the rim and I was able to slow to a stop.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault