Balancing complete wheels (w/ Tires, Valve...), new offer from XR-one

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nickldn

by Nickldn

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:13 pm
I'd expect to find this kit in the same location on online stores as those Axxios stickers...
Your comment made me chuckle.

But seriously, if you are regularly descend at more than 50mph you may benefit from balancing your wheels. If like most riders you are not, then I recon it's not particularly vital.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I regularly used to descend at more than 50mph (60+ wasn't unusual) and never felt the urge to balance wheels. The imbalance hasn't even been discernable in any wheel I've had in the last ~30 years.

(These days I live somewhere fairly flat, so high speed descents are limited to holidays and training camps.)

C36

by C36

ghostinthemachine wrote:I regularly used to descend at more than 50mph (60+ wasn't unusual) and never felt the urge to balance wheels. The imbalance hasn't even been discernable in any wheel I've had in the last ~30 years.

(These days I live somewhere fairly flat, so high speed descents are limited to holidays and training camps.)
In intro I mentioned it was quite an “attention to details” and indeed I don’t know if I would feel the difference.

Now saying “never felt the urge” doesn’t mean anything until you tried the balanced version and you could compare.
There is a imbalance than we can calculate (I did on first post) and it HAS an effect… I am curious to know if it’s noticeable or not. When you are downhilling at 70+ kph things do shake, is it unmanageable? clearly not, could it be better… maybe.

Seems the kits are ready and wait for the packaging to arrive (4-6 weeks to hit the market).

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Not sure how you improve from not being able to feel any imbalance or vibration at all.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Well, if balanced then the bike at least won't jump up and down when spinning the wheels while hanging in the repair stand :D

You can also find out if there are any antipuncture clots in the tyre, if the wheel was totallt balanced before adding the liquid
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

C36

by C36

ghostinthemachine wrote:Not sure how you improve from not being able to feel any imbalance or vibration at all.
You would be amazed how terrible are people feelings when they have no comparison point.

Maybe your wheels are relatively balanced, maybe you don’t go fast enough, maybe you never experienced anything else then can’t compare.

I am willing to try and maybe I would not feel anything Image, maybe I would understand why Sagan or Contador were picky on this… that’s really a curiosity I have and an attention to details.

LouisN

by LouisN

I was asking myself if enough to cause slips, when the right (wrong) factors are put together...

Louis :)