Replacement bearings binding when end caps tightened

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

I've noticed sometimes when I've replaced the bearings in Novatec/Bitex/Powerway/Chosen type hubs (i.e. cheap far eastern) that the reassembled hub does not spin freely if the end caps are fully torqued. These hubs have no preload adjustment and everything spins smoothly if the endcaps are not fully tightened. Spacer between freehub and shell bearing is in place. Is this just down to tolerances, or can anyone explain what is going on and how I can rectify it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

It's common.I just replaced some bearings (Enduro Abec 3) in an 8 years old Novatec A291 SB hub yesterday.
I Use a few drops of blue Loctite on threads and just screw the end caps by hand, not forcing anything.
Louis :)

bobones

by bobones

Yes,it seems so. I played around with this last night, and it seems it's dependent on the bearing dimensions as pressing in the original bearing type from an identical hub resulted in no binding. The replacements are higher quality NTN bearings, but they must be slightly wider than the old ones. I was just considering how best to lock in the NDS end cap without having to tighten it so I will give some blue Loctite a go. I can firmly tighten the drive side endcap to the axle without any binding so I think leaving the NDS as the loose one is possibly the better option. Thanks for your reply! :D

LouisN

by LouisN

Yep.I replaced my F482SB ones with NTN also, and I screw the NDS end cap by hand only. Never a problem since (although the Novatech rear hub is not the best hub for wet environment. Bearing life is not very high).

bobones

by bobones

LouisN wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:35 am
Yep.I replaced my F482SB ones with NTN also, and I screw the NDS end cap by hand only. Never a problem since (although the Novatech rear hub is not the best hub for wet environment. Bearing life is not very high).
I've found an easy fix as inserting a small washer inside the NDS endcap allows the caps to be fully tightened without the bearings binding. Before, my endcaps would bind the bearings after some riding even if I only had them finger tight to begin with.