new Shimano Ultegra wheels WH-R8170 (wobbling freewheel)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NickyR

by NickyR

I open this topic because I bought those wheels (C50 version) 3 weeks ago so I will share my opinion about them.
The actual weight is 718+887g (1605g with tubeless tape and NO tubeless valve). They are not the lightest wheels on the scale but on the road they don't feel heavy at all, most of the "extra" weight must come from the hubs. For sure, for long and steep climbs, you can get better wheels but they are really versatile. On flat and mixed terrains, this is where they shine : hubs are smooth, the wheels are stiff and aero is good, it is really easy to keep the pace. They are not very sensitive to crosswind (I had a lot worse experience with some shallower wheels). As I said, they are stiff, but not overly stiff so even when you got tired or are not in a good day, they don't feel "demanding". I use them with Pirelli P-zero velo 25mm tires (that measure 28,5mm wide on the wheels) and Pirelli Smartubes (not tried tubeless setting yet).
Retail price is 1400€ but you can find them for 1000-1100€ on the internet and I think that at this price point, they are a really good choice.
However, one thing to note : I noticed a small wobble in the cassette (dura ace cs-9100). At first I thought it was the cassette or lack of torque, but I tried different cassettes and increased the torque and still some play. Actually it comes from the freehub. It is very light but I don't know if it is normal. I was wondering if this can be considered as "normal" and if it may have some influence on the shifting/noise. If someone else use those wheels (or C36 and C60) I would appreciate any input. I have asked the shop where I bought them to report to Shimano to see what they say.

IMPORTANT EDIT : just got a call from the shop where I bought the wheels. I am not the first user to experience this issue with those wheels. Shimano is aware of the problem and the shop is waiting for their answer about how to solve the problem. Will keep informed.
Last edited by NickyR on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Are your other hubs not smooth?

NickyR

by NickyR

what do you mean by other hubs ? both front and rear hubs are smooth

NickyR

by NickyR

sorry for the 2 other sale treads, I have some hard times with the website

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just wondering why you specifically mentioned these hubs as being smooth rolling… All hubs should roll smoothly.

NickyR

by NickyR

OK got it. I just wanted to point out that when you spin the wheels, they spin really smooth and long (sometimes you can feel them slowing down)

NickyR

by NickyR

I ve just heard that the same issue may happen with Dura Ace WH-R9270 wheels.
For the moment, it's a grey area and Shimano doesn't communicate a lot about it (origin of the problem and how they solve it)

bobones

by bobones

I don't know if this will help, but I noticed a wobble after fitting a CS-8100 cassette to one of my hubs when there was no wobble with a different 12-speed cassette on this same hub or with the CS-8100 on a different hub. The lock ring seemed to be well tightened down and there was no play in the cassette body so the wobble was a mystery. Anyway, as last resort I fitted a thin washer (thin enough to still be able to thread on the lock ring) to the hub body before sliding on the cassette, and that cured the wobble. I still don't quite understand it, but it's perhaps worth a try?

NickyR

by NickyR

Thanks for your input, I ve read the same on a french forum and, indeed, Shimano proposes this part (it mus be for a reason) :
https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Spacer-for- ... ttes-05-mm
I ll try !

daithicollins

by daithicollins

NickyR wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:26 am
Thanks for your input, I ve read the same on a french forum and, indeed, Shimano proposes this part (it mus be for a reason) :
https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Spacer-for- ... ttes-05-mm
I ll try !
Hi NickyR, firstly I wish I had found this forum before I went and bought C50s. Anyway I now have the same issue, I actually sent one back to Wiggle due to this and they have subsequently refunded me fully. I sourced another but alas the same problem. Now I know it is a known issue and I am wondering did the shimano part actually fix the problem? Also did you put it directly under the cassette or at the back of the freewheel body? As to me it seems like the freewheel body has about 0.5 -1mm play and not the cassette? Help greatly appreciate as I absolutely love the wheels! They corner like they are on rails! Thanks, David

Omiar

by Omiar

I have seen multiple Shimano HG type (meaning not made by Shimano) freewheel bodies with Shimano cassette having a small wobble. Usually more noticeable on cheap hubs.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

bensales

by bensales

I noticed the same issue with my Ultegra C50 wheels with an Ultegra R8100 cassette.

After a bit of searching I came across the exploded diagram for the cassette on Shimano's site...

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam ... 0-4861.pdf

It lists a part (number 13 in the diagram) Y0MV01000 "Adhesive Ring" that should go behind the cassette - on checking mine didn't have this, and I don't recall one being in the cassette box when I built the wheels. So I've just this week ordered one, and will post an update after I've fitted it.

bobones

by bobones

bensales wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:58 am
I noticed the same issue with my Ultegra C50 wheels with an Ultegra R8100 cassette.

After a bit of searching I came across the exploded diagram for the cassette on Shimano's site...

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam ... 0-4861.pdf

It lists a part (number 13 in the diagram) Y0MV01000 "Adhesive Ring" that should go behind the cassette - on checking mine didn't have this, and I don't recall one being in the cassette box when I built the wheels. So I've just this week ordered one, and will post an update after I've fitted it.
The wobbling is usually cured by removing the adhesive ring and/or adding a thin spacer. The problem seems to be that the adhesive ring is made of spongy material, and on some hubs it deforms unevenly when the lock ring is tightened down, causing the cassette to be slightly skewed relative to the hub body.

ivonenand

by ivonenand

Hi,
I too have the same issue on HW-R8170 wheelset; play in the cassette and it's not that small. As NickyR pointed out, the play is in the freehub and not between the cassette and the freehub body. Adding a spacer (0.5mm) on the back of the cassette cannot solve this as the cassette is already firmly in place on the freehub body.

Regards,
Ivo

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Does this issue arise on the Dura Ace R9200 wheels with their different freehub design? Or is it just with the Ultegra wheels with the traditional Shimano pawled freehub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com