new Shimano Ultegra wheels WH-R8170

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NickyR

by NickyR

I open this topic because I bought those wheels (C50 version) 3 weeks ago so I will share my opinion about them.
The actual weight is 718+887g (1605g with tubeless tape and NO tubeless valve). They are not the lightest wheels on the scale but on the road they don't feel heavy at all, most of the "extra" weight must come from the hubs. For sure, for long and steep climbs, you can get better wheels but they are really versatile. On flat and mixed terrains, this is where they shine : hubs are smooth, the wheels are stiff and aero is good, it is really easy to keep the pace. They are not very sensitive to crosswind (I had a lot worse experience with some shallower wheels). As I said, they are stiff, but not overly stiff so even when you got tired or are not in a good day, they don't feel "demanding". I use them with Pirelli P-zero velo 25mm tires (that measure 28,5mm wide on the wheels) and Pirelli Smartubes (not tried tubeless setting yet).
Retail price is 1400€ but you can find them for 1000-1100€ on the internet and I think that at this price point, they are a really good choice.
However, one thing to note : I noticed a small wobble in the cassette (dura ace cs-9100). At first I thought it was the cassette or lack of torque, but I tried different cassettes and increased the torque and still some play. Actually it comes from the freehub. It is very light but I don't know if it is normal. I was wondering if this can be considered as "normal" and if it may have some influence on the shifting/noise. If someone else use those wheels (or C36 and C60) I would appreciate any input. I have asked the shop where I bought them to report to Shimano to see what they say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com