Lightbicycle carbon 3k/twill weave misalignment - common for all carbon rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

baldheadbiomed

by baldheadbiomed

I see this with both 3k and vertical twill weaves, is this common for all non-UD carbon rims - or is it a case of you get what you pay for? Lightbicycle say they can't avoid them.

Reason I'd consider 3k over UD is that they claim 3k is more robust for the brake track with rim brakes (hence why it is the default).

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

As far as I know the 3k twill or any weave finish is only the top layer and only for aesthetics and not performance.

UD will be the best choice. It will be slightly lighter, stronger, better torsional stiffness, and better impact resistance.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslette ... frame.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

The crossover is normal, and the direction of the crossover line depends on how they layup the decorative 3k layer. Obviously LB didn't choose an elegant way. Some brands make this crossover line along the spoke hole, which is less visible.

Yes, 3k is stronger than UD for brake track due to the brake force direction, but the brake trake of LB is always made up by 3k fiber, no matter what finish you choose.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

Got the same on Mavic wheels I have

baldheadbiomed

by baldheadbiomed

alanyu wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 am

Yes, 3k is stronger than UD for brake track due to the brake force direction, but the brake trake of LB is always made up by 3k fiber, no matter what finish you choose.
LB can make fully UD rims with UD brake surfaces if you ask for it, but like I said they do 3k brake surfaces as standard as they claim they are stronger/more durable/give better breaking perf - how much I have no idea, is it really that significant?
The crossover is normal, and the direction of the crossover line depends on how they layup the decorative 3k layer. Obviously LB didn't choose an elegant way. Some brands make this crossover line along the spoke hole, which is less visible.
Yeah, they could also have obscured it with the logo..

alanyu

by alanyu

baldheadbiomed wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:19 am
alanyu wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 am

LB can make fully UD rims with UD brake surfaces if you ask for it, but like I said they do 3k brake surfaces as standard as they claim they are stronger/more durable/give better breaking perf - how much I have no idea, is it really that significant?
Laser grooving will destory the continuity of UD fiber, while the broken 3K fiber can still be supported by the fiber of the other direction. Another situation is that, when the sand is stuck in your pads, it can hurt UD more easily than 3K.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com