Roval SCS wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Regret

by Regret

I have a Specialized Roubaix from 2016 which uses the ill-fated SCS 135mm axle standard for the rear wheel (Roval SLX24).
Now, I have cracked the rim.
It would appear that the very few compatible wheels - all from Roval - are out of production.
There is a non-SCS hanger available but from what I have read it is very hit and miss if it does the job.
Hope make an SCS hub which I theoretically could build a set of wheels on. This will take a long time and with taxes, duty etc. will cost more than I would like to pay (am in Europe).
Some thoughts:
Would it be possible to put a different rim - say a DTS RR421 - on the Roval hub, using the existing spokes? The spoke count is the same but I don't know if the pattern would be different.
Ultimately I suppose I could get a new SLX24 in 142mm and move the rim onto the old hub. Unfortunately AFAIK I have to buy a whole new set which seems a bit over the top.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

TLN

by TLN

There're are only three wheelset with SCS hub, if I'm correct: SLX24, CLX40 and CLX64.
It's easier with QR (135mm) compared to thru-axle, but I might be wrong. I got CLX40 wheelset available, but I'm in the states. Feel free to PM if you're interested.

Other options: Hope Hub, QR with different hanger, or re-using hub. If you want to re-use your hub, you will need different spokes most likely.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Regret

by Regret

Thanks for the offer - I hope to find a solution here in Europe but if that fails I might take you up on it :)

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

As long as your replacement rim and existing hub have the same number of spoke holes any wheel builder that uses blank spokes and threads them when building wheels should be able to build the wheel without too much of a cost with his time and the blank spokes. I have had this done myself with a wheel builder thats an hours drive away. Definitely worth investigating.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Regret

by Regret

That's good to know, thanks. My LBS says they will ask Specialized if they have an SLX24 rim on hand - if so I guess that could then be moved to the SCS hub.