Weird clicking sound cant find the source

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

So my front wheel is making a click/tick sound every revolution. The sound only appears when the tyre touches the ground and there is rider weight on the bike. It doesn't sound like brake rubbing, but I have adjusted the caliper several times and checked the rotor for trueness. As for the tire I have checked it several times and picked every small flint out leaving nothing but a "worn smooth" dynaplugged repair. The hub is a dt350 with roughly 800kms on it so it seems unlikely that it should be the bearings.

Any ideas where to look next?

johnrho

by johnrho

Valve stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

johnrho wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:40 pm
Valve stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlikely...it's a tubeless valve stem.

I wonder if the tip of the DynaPlug fell off and is rattling around, but only at higher wheel RPM.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Could it be something related to aerodynamics?
Maybe an imperfection on the tyre, something stuck on the inside of the fork legs, valve stem, a slightly misaligned bladed spoke - couldn't any of those make a repetitive 'whooshing' sound during each revolution at certain RPMs?
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

MagicShite

by MagicShite

have u taken apart the hubs and actually checked if the bearings are shot for real?

Another possibility is that u have a drain hole that accidentally trapped a small pebble inside.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

BobbyAamand wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 pm
So my front wheel is making a click/tick sound every revolution. The sound only appears when the tyre touches the ground and there is rider weight on the bike. It doesn't sound like brake rubbing, but I have adjusted the caliper several times and checked the rotor for trueness. As for the tire I have checked it several times and picked every small flint out leaving nothing but a "worn smooth" dynaplugged repair. The hub is a dt350 with roughly 800kms on it so it seems unlikely that it should be the bearings.

Any ideas where to look next?
Maybe the thru-axel? I have had similar sound issues with my current road bike via the quick release skewers. Degreasing to get rid of any dirt and then regressing has solved the issue for me a couple times now.

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

Thanks for all the answers. Became a parent shortly after I posted so hasn't has the time to answer back. I found the culprit. It was the brake afterall. A miniscule kink in the rotor and a somewhat seized piston.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com