35mm v 50mm rim depth?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trailgumby

by trailgumby

I've just recently ordered a new disc-braked roadie. It comes with 35mm deep by 19mm IW rims. Disappointingly for an AUD8k bike, the spokes are butted 20/1.8/2.0 not bladed. I'm thinking of building up some 45-50mm deep wheels and doing the build myself, as I have the gear and built a few sets already with good results.

Firstly, crosswinds. is the jump in depth likely to make a big difference on handling on blustery days? Should I keep the OEM wheels for these conditions?

Secondly, suggested rims? I've used Light Bicycle hookless rims previously for my XC MTB and had good results, with those rims coming up on 7 years old now and being relaced onto Boost hubs as the everyday training wheelset on the new bike. However I notice as a result of their good reputation that their USD prices have gone up. Which other manufacturers/models should I consider? Typically I use 25mm GP5000s.

Thirdly, spoke count. I'm thinking 20 or 24 front, dependng on what hubs I can get, and 24 rear. Is 20 too few on the front? I'll be using either CX-Ray or Pillar 1420 spokes and black brass nipples.

Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

Orlok

by Orlok

I just changed my 38 mm carbonwheels for 50 mm carbonwheels (both U-shape) and feel almost no difference on handling with crosswinds.
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:41 am
I've just recently ordered a new disc-braked roadie. It comes with 35mm deep by 19mm IW rims. Disappointingly for an AUD8k bike, the spokes are butted 20/1.8/2.0 not bladed. I'm thinking of building up some 45-50mm deep wheels and doing the build myself, as I have the gear and built a few sets already with good results.

Firstly, crosswinds. is the jump in depth likely to make a big difference on handling on blustery days? Should I keep the OEM wheels for these conditions?

35mm vs 45mm - it seems like a very marginal gain. I wouldn't even bother just to gain 10mm in depth.

As far as crosswinds, I ride some 50mm Farsports wheels. I ride them full time but I'm definitely keeping my hands on the bars on windy days. It can feel sketchy when winds are above 15mph and gusty. 20mph+ winds feel unsafe.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

depends on where you ride but in Southern CA where we get some significant wind, a 50 on the front can be sketchy especially descending. Re spoke count, that also depends on weight/riding conditions, but I don't see much need for more than 20 spokes on the front especially since the purpose of deeper section wheels is aerodynamics.

alanyu

by alanyu

I would choose AR46. They are very stable. I rode with them today for Alpen Challenge. The wind was strong around 11:00-12:00 but I (56 kg) felt very confident when descending. I also have a pair of AR56. Though they are more stable than my old U shaped 38 mm wheel, I have to slow down when descending on windy days. The downside is that they don't offer Falcon Pro version AR46.
Spoke side, if u go with Pillar, ask them for wing20 instead of 1420.

Swannie

by Swannie

After a week in shitty weather in the mountains on 50mm u shape rims with lots of wind i bought a 38mm extra front wheel for windy days, its a huge difference!

choochoo46

by choochoo46

I've found that adhering to the 105% rule on tire to rim width makes a big difference in handling on windy days. I run LightBicycle AR56s on fast descents in windy days with good results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com