Alloy rims with no outer spoke holes - do they exist?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

I have still not moved to disc brakes, and I wont for a long time. But I'm really liking the idea of rims with no outer spoke holes for easy tubeless setup. I'm aware it's a hazzle to build them. But would love to not having to deal with rimtape.

For winter riding here in northern europe, carbin rims and rim brake is not a good fit. So are there any alloy rims out there without spoke holes. Aluminum is not magnetic, so the magnet trick would be possible.

C36

by C36

Mavic Ksyrium range and some Fulcrum/campa have a solid aluminium bed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Shimano stuff doesn't have holes in the rim bed...and they use proprietary straight pull spokes.

wooger

by wooger

Multebear wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:23 pm
But would love to not having to deal with rimtape.
What problem with rimtape have you encountered? It takes a minute to put on a couple of wraps of tubeless tape and lasts for years.

Miller

by Miller

wooger wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm
Multebear wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:23 pm
But would love to not having to deal with rimtape.
What problem with rimtape have you encountered? It takes a minute to put on a couple of wraps of tubeless tape and lasts for years.
This. It is MASSIVELY easier to apply TL rim tape than to deal with manoeuvring spoke nipples inside a rim with smooth rim bed. One is the work of a minute or two, the other is much time and grief.

Multebear

by Multebear

C36 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:50 am
Mavic Ksyrium range and some Fulcrum/campa have a solid aluminium bed
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:08 am
The Shimano stuff doesn't have holes in the rim bed...and they use proprietary straight pull spokes.
Looks like all the mentioned options are for proprietary use only. 16, 18 and 20 spokes is not enough for my weight. I had hoped there were homebuilding options. But thanks.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Shamal Ultra is about as strong as it gets. I rode the Pyrenees with a guy that was 285lbs (he used to be 500!) and he used the Fulcrum equivalent of the Shamal. At the end the trip he gave his wheels to one of the trip staff who used them for many more years. Had a super reinforced custom Parlee. Interesting guy. Could actually manage OK on the climbs.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Treptay

by Treptay

Ritchey WCS Zeta wheels. 20mm inner width, a little under 1500 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com