Lacing tubeless rims with no outer spoke holes - help needed!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

I've watched several videos of how to use magnets to get the nipples in place. The problem is, I don't have anything magnetic, that fits into a nipple.

1) is it possible to buy a complete set with magnet and bolt(s) for this kind of operation?
2) are there other ways of getting the nipple in place without magnets when building a new wheel?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Never done a full wheel, but replaced individual nipples on fulcrum rims using a length of solder.

Feed it through the hole, and guide it to the valve hole.
Pull the end out and stick a nipple on (the right orientation) and tie a knot in the solder.
Pull back slowly and when it gets to its destination, tease it out and hold with pliers.
Yank the solder and the end will fall back into the rim.
Start threading the spoke on, and shake the broken piece of solder back out of the rim.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Multebear wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:09 am
is it possible to buy a complete set with magnet and bolt(s) for this kind of operation?
I use a nipple insert made by Campagnolo that fits standard 2.0 mm nipples. I did have to slightly file down the diameter of the outer domed part though, or else it would not fit through the nipple holes on my particular rims (which were made by Farsports).

https://www.bike24.com/p2163195.html

But maybe there is a readily available standard screw size that could be modified in a similar way to fit a nipple and provide leverage for a magnet…

Multebear

by Multebear

jekyll man wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:27 am
Never done a full wheel, but replaced individual nipples on fulcrum rims using a length of solder.

Feed it through the hole, and guide it to the valve hole.
Pull the end out and stick a nipple on (the right orientation) and tie a knot in the solder.
Pull back slowly and when it gets to its destination, tease it out and hold with pliers.
Yank the solder and the end will fall back into the rim.
Start threading the spoke on, and shake the broken piece of solder back out of the rim.

MayhemSWE wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:09 am
Multebear wrote:
is it possible to buy a complete set with magnet and bolt(s) for this kind of operation?
I use a nipple insert made by Campagnolo that fits standard 2.0 mm nipples. I did have to slightly file down the diameter of the outer domed part though, or else it would not fit through the nipple holes on my particular rims (which were made by Farsports).

But maybe there is a readily available standard screw size that could be modified in a similar way to fit a nipple and provide leverage for a magnet…
Thanks to you both. Both of them nice solutions.

Marin

by Marin

Multebear wrote:
I've watched several videos of how to use magnets to get the nipples in place. The problem is, I don't have anything magnetic, that fits into a nipple.
No spokes around???

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I've seen thread and a vacuum cleaner used as a home build option...

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Marin wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:10 pm
Multebear wrote:
No spokes around???
Stainless has relatively weak magnetic properties. Threading stainless shifter cables internally using rare earth magnets was a fail for me when I attempted it recently.

we51

by we51

I used a length of thread with a small screw tied to one end, which was inserted into the outer valve hole and pulled along to the spoke nipple hole with a strong magnet. I tied a fat knot at a distance along the thread so that a nipple could be fed onto the string and would just slide over the knot, which then held the nipple in place as the string was pulled through until the nipple came out the hole. A strong pull then pulled the knot through leaving just the nipple in place.

A tip to using this method is to leave a long section of thread after the knot in case something gets hung while pulling a nipple through so you can back it out if needed.

Marin

by Marin

trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:20 am
Marin wrote:
Multebear wrote:
No spokes around???
Stainless has relatively weak magnetic properties. Threading stainless shifter cables internally using rare earth magnets was a fail for me when I attempted it recently.
Hmm. Glue a piece of mild steel to a spoke?

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Marin wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:25 am
trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:20 am
Marin wrote:
Multebear wrote:
No spokes around???
Hmm. Glue a piece of mild steel to a spoke?
Hmm. Spoke hole is 4mm. Spoke is 2.00mm. Not a lot of room to play with and needs to be short so it can be oriented the way you want in a tight space. The magnetic Campy nipple insert posted above is about the only practial way I can see this is gonna be anything other than annoyingly time-consuming.

Marin

by Marin

trailgumby wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:37 pm
I'd use a small hex nut or even a small magnet superglued to a piece of spoke. 99% sure this would work

kroem

by kroem

I thought this was gonna be painful, but once I found a screw with the right diameter/size it was easy breazy.

Just thread the screw to the nipple, pop it in and lead it correct with a magnet.

Now...I just need to find the measurements for ya...

EDIT. It's 2-56, I found many options in like RC stores
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com