Tune TSR22 wheelset feedback, anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

charirider

by charirider

Hi fellow weightweenies,
I live in Japan and mostly spend my time cycling in the mountains.
Currently I am in search for an affordable climbing set of aluminum clinchers, below 500usd,
and TSR22 set from Tune seems like it meets my needs and budget:
- sub 500 euro price
- low weight for alu clincher (1350g-ish)
- lateral stiffness for climbing
- 19mm internal, 24.5mm external width, great for 25mm GP5000
- 24/28 spokes for countryside roads
- Assembled in Germany and made from good quality components
- LOUD freehub

My only concern is in mag 170rear hub.
It had some creaking and broken flange issues in the past, how it has been recently?
Does anyone has some experience with this particular wheelset?

If it's a bad choise in you opinion, what my options are?
Hunt aero (poor quality, heavy), DA C24 (narrow, silent freehub, heavy), BOYD Altamont (not available at the moment,heavy), Zonda (heavy, boring) is out of concern.
Also I do not want to bother with handbuilt wheels.
Last edited by charirider on Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

Treptay

by Treptay

I'm in the same situaton, looking for a simillar wheelset option. The TSR22 looks nice, but I really hate loud freehubs, and there is a lack of reviews on the wheels themselves. What rims are they using? I think I read somewhere on the forum, that they use kinlin rims. And is the weight really true?
Other options are:
DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT 21 (1423g, loud freehub, 18mm internal)
Ritchey WCS Zeta (j-bend spokes but look like straightpull, 20mm internal width, easy servicing, no spoke holes in the rim, kinda heavy at 1468g, but has brass nipples and apparantly SKF bearings, looks like a good option for longevity and bad weather, not a lot of reviews)
Vision TriMax 25 KB (1380g, but I don't trust their quality controll, some reviews of their wheels state the hubs breaking, black braking surface that wears away quickly)
Fulcrum Racing 3 C17 (same as zonda)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

Treptay wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:08 am
I'm in the same situaton, looking for a simillar wheelset option. The TSR22 looks nice, but I really hate loud freehubs, and there is a lack of reviews on the wheels themselves. What rims are they using? I think I read somewhere on the forum, that they use kinlin rims. And is the weight really true?
Other options are:
DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT 21 (1423g, loud freehub, 18mm internal)
Ritchey WCS Zeta (j-bend spokes but look like straightpull, 20mm internal width, easy servicing, no spoke holes in the rim, kinda heavy at 1468g, but has brass nipples and apparantly SKF bearings, looks like a good option for longevity and bad weather, not a lot of reviews)
Vision TriMax 25 KB (1380g, but I don't trust their quality controll, some reviews of their wheels state the hubs breaking, black braking surface that wears away quickly)
Fulcrum Racing 3 C17 (same as zonda)
Hi

I have found a comment on german forum called rennrad-news.de:
I have been driving on the TSR22 FB for 40000km and have nothing to complain about.
So I will give it a shot.
I am not heavy rider, at 70kg neither put out more than 600Watts while climbing, so it should be ok, I think.

Regarding your options, DT 1400 Dicut and all DT Swiss factory machine built wheels are notorious for spoke creaking while dancing out of saddle, and rim width is outdated, I wouldn't ride anything less than of a 19/24 int/ext width. Also quite heavy.
Ritchey Zeta WCS is cool, but 50g heavier and have no color hub options (I am for a silver one), also hubs are little haviers than Tune ones.

I am also looking into Hunt Aero Wide race (silver ones), but they are heavy... and hubs obviously not Tune-like quality.

charirider

by charirider

Tune TSR 22 in silver hub/nipples/logo variation has been ordered!
This thread will receive update of initial impression as well as mid- and long-term reviews. Stay tuned!

NickyR

by NickyR

I have the Tune TSR 35 on my steel bike and I must say that they are really good wheels. The hubs are smooth, the wheels are light (1468g) but stiff enough for my 85kg, the braking is very good. Can't comment about the durability/reliability but the brokken flange issue have been addressed a long time ago. If you are a lighter rider and your roads are not too bad, I think that they are a safe wheelset for you.

Treptay

by Treptay

NickyR wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 am
I have the Tune TSR 35 on my steel bike and I must say that they are really good wheels. The hubs are smooth, the wheels are light (1468g) but stiff enough for my 85kg, the braking is very good. Can't comment about the durability/reliability but the brokken flange issue have been addressed a long time ago. If you are a lighter rider and your roads are not too bad, I think that they are a safe wheelset for you.
How is the black braking track holding up, is it worn?
I am still debating what wheels to buy, since I hate loud freehubs -> how loud ist the tune freehub?

NickyR

by NickyR

Yes, it has worn out after a couple of wet rides. Don't expect it to last very long, even on the dry and with the provided pads.
the only resistant black coatings are oxic by DT Swiss or Exalith by Mavic.
The freehub sound is quite loud, but not too much (in my opinion). Louder than Shimano or campagnolo or Dt Swiss but less noisy than Carbon-ti, exalite, CK or else. Sounds like Hope to my ears

charirider

by charirider

After 3 weeks of waiting, my Tune TSR22 in silver hubs/nipples have arrived to Japan (bought at Bike24for 520 UER shipping included).
They arrived safe, no scratches or dents, built really well, hub sound is great and bearings are so smoooooth, like it. What amazed me are the spokes; D-Light from Sapim is really THIN, compared to what Ive ridden previously (2mm straight gauge DT Competition)
I will finish stripping my SS EVO in a week and asseble it, and go for a Mitsumine hillclimb (popular location here in Japan).
I will post my first experience with this wheelset shortly.

Ferry

by Ferry

I am also consider these wheels. How have they been for the past months?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

I had a set of slightly older TSR 30 wheels, they had the Sapim Superlight (Tune only edition) CX Ray spokes.
I'm 80kg, wheels were from the factory at 24/28 spoke, 1365g, slightly old school narrower rims, but 30mm deep.
I had these for years, bought in 2015 I think, did a lot of miles on them, lots of mountains, and raced occasionally. They were fantastic. Hubs smoth as, minor adjustments once or twice only. Minimally out of true once (I'm fussy!) and frankly took everything I threw at them.
I wore the rims out finally 18 months ago, but I was mainly a fair weather rider on those wheels.
The reason I'm commenting late in the day is I just googled Tune TSR22 Rim review and found this thread.
My mech is a Tune dealer (UK based) and has been waiting for TSR22 rims to be available to be laced onto the MigMag hubs that came off the original wheels.
The hubs will live on, I doubt I'll have an issue with them, and new CXRay spokes will be used.
Would I recommend?
Hell yeah, go for it! 5/5 ⭐️
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10