Tubeless Tape Best Practices

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warthog101

by warthog101

Wheels with no holes in the rim bed are pretty damn good too.
Tape? What is that sh it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

warthog101 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:56 pm
The problem is you have to find good wheels with no access holes. I'm about to buy a Light Bicycle wheel, mostly because of my limited budget, but can hardly expect it's as good as Campagnolo.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:16 pm
Still, when you can walk into any number of DIY stores, or click on Amazon and get enough tubeless tape to do your entire fleet of bikes twice over for €15, rather than only being able to do two wheels, it puts the ludicrous mark up into sharp relief.
Hehe, isn't that typical for most cycling related stuff, be it tape, framesets or what ever.....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:11 pm
Hehe, isn't that typical for most cycling related stuff, be it tape, framesets or what ever.....
No.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

warthog101 wrote:
I don’t find taping rims to be a big deal. And perhaps hilariously so, sometimes you end up taping up rims without spoke drillings anyway to increase the diameter of the rim bed when you’re having trouble with loose fitting tubeless tires.

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
I don’t find taping rims to be a big deal. And perhaps hilariously so, sometimes you end up taping up rims without spoke drillings anyway to increase the diameter of the rim bed when you’re having trouble with loose fitting tubeless tires.
Perhaps not, but it is another potential source of leaks and is unlikely to be corrected by tyre sealant.
Haven't had my wheels without holes very long and only had 3 sets of tyres on the hookless goers. All seated fine with just a track pump.
I will only use ETRTO approved tyres given they are hookless and that should reduce the likelihood of tyres being a loose fit given they have a mandated measurement to comply with. We shall see...

Having said that my other set of taped tubeless hooked rims have given no trouble either, I just see it as a potential fault (as confirmed by this thread) and prefer no holes.
A broken spoke may make me reassess, if the nipple ends up inside the rim.