Where to buy 50mm wheels in the UK

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CR987

by CR987

Hi,
I looking for some super lightweight 50mm wheels when I visit the UK next month. I'm trying to get as light as possible but also spend less than £1100.Can anyone recommend a retailer. I won't have time to order anything that is coming direct from China.
Do any shops carry stock of any of the Chinese brands like Winspace, Farsports etc? Or maybe someone knows of a wheel builder who can build something?
Thanks in advance
EDIT: I'm looking for rim brake wheels

Miller

by Miller

There are more than a few small UK brands offering carbon wheels for £1000 or less per pair. Hunt is the most notable and they do a good range of types including some very lightweight offerings. I think their sales model is direct to consumer. You could order them to a UK address.

No shops will carry Chinese branded wheels but plenty of shops will be able to build or source carbon wheels although with just a month here you'll be tight for time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CR987

by CR987

Thanks for your reply.
Hunt wheels look OK but I'm sorry I forgot to mention I am an awkward fella who can't stand noisy hubs. I really need quiet DT Swiss hubs

Bondurant

by Bondurant

How about these, from Cycle Clinic? Well-respected builder.

Miche hubs aren't particularly loud.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... 6-5mm-wide

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

As mentioned, no UK shop will stock Chinese wheels such as Farsports or Light Bicycle.
Wheelbuilders will use Chinese rims and hubs such as Bitex but they don't usually have a shop front and mainly post their wheels out, you could try though popping out to somewhere like DCR Wheels though:

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/

If you were looking for Disc brake wheels then you could have got some Vel wheels from Sigma Sports in Kingston, your budget would have stretched to the more expensive ones built with DT Swiss 240 hubs.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Vel/50 ... elset/QT2G

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Iv got some venn 37mm deep disc rims for sale for £600 with carbon ti hubs. Much better quality and just as fast as hunt 50mm down hill and a lot fast uphill. Had 4months use and cost £1300

CR987

by CR987

Thanks, but as mentioned I'm looking for 50mm rim brake wheels. I already have Roval CLX32's which are 1280grams.

the jackel

by the jackel

There are a couple of shops that apparently stock Winspace. If you check the Winspace global dealers page you'll be able to get details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ABogle

by ABogle

Hunt, Scribe and Vel (sigma sports own brand) are all very affordable, but the rims are generally not very modern in terms of profile and therefore mostly suited to 25mm tires. e.g. most fo the Hunt (except the limitless series) & Vel have outer widths of around 27mm and aero optimised for 25s.

Parcours Strade are 1100 I think and they are definetly optimised for a 28mm tire, the profile whilst not quite as wide is not too dismilar to a Roval Rapide. So take a look at those.