ENVE Refresh?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ichobi

by ichobi

Their test confirms a few things

Swissside designed dt swiss arc1100 is really fast. Its shown to be fast or the fastest in some other brands as well as magazine testing.

Most aero wheels off the same class are t that different aerodynamically.

And why choose their hookless rims when other hooked rims can be as fast/light? Unless you are enve massive fan.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TLN wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:17 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:03 pm
Underwhelmed personally, and I'm an ENVE fan for the most part. These would be awesome if they weren't hookless.
I got 3Ts that are copycat from 4.5AR, but hooked. Will be happy to trade em for 6.7 Enves.

I got two questions tho:
1. How many people run such premium sets as everyday wheels? I'd expect wheelset with hefty tag and warranty to be able to withstand some beating.
2. 6.7 vs Bontrager RSL 67 if money is no object?
4.5AR are everyday gravel wheels
5.6 were my everyday aerobike wheels (sold them)
6.7 will be everyday aerobike wheels.

not surprised by the price increase... inflation aka marketing
as for zipp getting cheaper well the tech move down kinda like the foundation line from enve is cheaper.
NSW especially the 353 are baller, but damn they make Enves look like a bargain.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

tmanley

by tmanley

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:06 pm
Precursor...Enve did me right ~14 years ago (when they still were Edge Composites). Their customer support came through big time when I had a wheel failure due to a brake track overheating issue and they did me right with their service and solution, so I've been a big fan ever since. That said...

My wife will likely kill me, but I've been quietly waiting on this release since I talked with Enve at Sea Otter and knew something was brewing. I'm in the same boat - currently have the 4.5AR's on my Cervelo Caledonia-5, but now going to move to the 6.7's as my everyday wheel. And I couldn't help but pull the trigger on a pair of 2.3's for climbing the local Bay Area hills.

As for the hooked/hookless debate, I'm 95kg, follow the Enve tire and pressure recommendations...and have had zero problems or issues.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TLN wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Underwhelmed personally, and I'm an ENVE fan for the most part. These would be awesome if they weren't hookless.
I got 3Ts that are copycat from 4.5AR, but hooked. Will be happy to trade em for 6.7 Enves.

I got two questions tho:
1. How many people run such premium sets as everyday wheels? I'd expect wheelset with hefty tag and warranty to be able to withstand some beating.
My SES 5.6 Disc are daily drivers with 50000km on them. I ride them in all conditions. These aren’t rim-brake wheels…don’t have to swap them out for rainy rides.

The Bontragers have = deeper front, shallower rear, but should honestly be faster in most conditions. They’re also hooked with DT Swiss 240/EXP and a 1mm wider external width. Not that much heavier either. Main issue is they only have 2-year crash replacement vs ENVE’s lifetime. That’s a big deal for me, but probably not big enough to overcome my aversion to hookless rims.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri May 27, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:23 pm
TLN wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

I got two questions tho:
My SES 5.6 Disc are daily drivers with 50000km on them. I ride them in all conditions. These aren’t rim-brake wheels…don’t have to swap them out for rainy rides.

He Bontragers have a deeper front, shallower rear, but should honestly be faster in most conditions. They’re also hooked with DT Swiss 240/EXP and a 1mm wider external width. Not that much heavier either. Main issue is they only have 2-year crash replacement vs ENVE’s lifetime. That’s a big deal for me, but probably not big enough to overcome my aversion to hookless rims.
It's saying 5 year now not lifetime for Enve....
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 pm
It's saying 5 year now not lifetime for Enve....
Wow and down to 3 years for crash replacement. Makes my decision to go with Bontrager even easier now.

kode54

by kode54

I wonder if they’re honoring lifetime warranty for previous ones or does the 5 yr limited warranty is now in effect.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

tmanley wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:41 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Precursor...Enve did me right ~14 years ago (when they still were Edge Composites). Their customer support came through big time when I had a wheel failure due to a brake track overheating issue and they did me right with their service and solution, so I've been a big fan ever since. That said...

My wife will likely kill me, but I've been quietly waiting on this release since I talked with Enve at Sea Otter and knew something was brewing. I'm in the same boat - currently have the 4.5AR's on my Cervelo Caledonia-5, but now going to move to the 6.7's as my everyday wheel. And I couldn't help but pull the trigger on a pair of 2.3's for climbing the local Bay Area hills.

As for the hooked/hookless debate, I'm 95kg, follow the Enve tire and pressure recommendations...and have had zero problems or issues.
Indeed, enve has done some of my friends right with early edge and enve wheels. I've never had issues with them since 2014 and my first set... I have Bontrager xxx4 tubs @ 1250g.. that is my go to set, if I wanna be lightweight and aero. My racer buddy just got zipp353 and I admit they are nice.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

justonwo

by justonwo

Look pretty cool, I guess. I'm surprised they didn't cut more weight out of the 3.4. Zipp is pretty darn low on weight at 1250 grams for the 353. Regardless, I really love my 3.4 wheels with Chris King hubs. Fanstasic wheels.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

yingyu

by yingyu

justonwo wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:29 am
Look pretty cool, I guess. I'm surprised they didn't cut more weight out of the 3.4. Zipp is pretty darn low on weight at 1250 grams for the 353. Regardless, I really love my 3.4 wheels with Chris King hubs. Fanstasic wheels.
Referring to PCW 6560's wavy profile, https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-gear ... -d-wheels/ says
...not only provide aerodynamic and crosswind stability benefits but also provide structural benefits by creating an ‘arch support’ beneath each spoke. Carbon fiber performs very well under tension and not so well under compression. The sinusoidal profile places carbon fibers under tension around each spoke which allows us to optimize the carbon layup and remove excess carbon from the area between the spokes.
I guess Zipp, while suing PCW, applies the same principle to reduce 353/454 weights. It might be hard to get such low rim weights with normal round profiles.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kode54 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:21 pm
I wonder if they’re honoring lifetime warranty for previous ones or does the 5 yr limited warranty is now in effect.
I DM'd them about this since there is no mention anywhere of the previous policy and existing customers. Guessing everyone is transferred over to the 5yr/3yr policy.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:52 am
kode54 wrote:
I DM'd them about this since there is no mention anywhere of the previous policy and existing customers. Guessing everyone is transferred over to the 5yr/3yr policy.
I would think the opposite, you buy something with a set rule, unless there was a disclaimer that they could change the poilicy after you buying it then surely the original policy at purchase is the one that counts. I would think at the time of purchase then they had no plans to change it.

kode54

by kode54

tmanley wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
…currently have the 4.5AR's on my Cervelo Caledonia-5, but now going to move to the 6.7's as my everyday wheel. And I couldn't help but pull the trigger on a pair of 2.3's for climbing the local Bay Area hills.
You’re jumping all the way to 6.7’s? I suppose the new 4.5’s are similar to the 4.5AR (but being slightly lighter).

I have a 5.6 and the 4.5AR so if anything, keep the AR’s and maybe get a set of 6.7.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

scottydonald wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:52 am
kode54 wrote:
I would think the opposite, you buy something with a set rule, unless there was a disclaimer that they could change the poilicy after you buying it then surely the original policy at purchase is the one that counts. I would think at the time of purchase then they had no plans to change it.
Yeah. I can see the lawsuits piling up!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Aesch

by Aesch

kode54 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:08 am
tmanley wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
…currently have the 4.5AR's on my Cervelo Caledonia-5, but now going to move to the 6.7's as my everyday wheel. And I couldn't help but pull the trigger on a pair of 2.3's for climbing the local Bay Area hills.
You’re jumping all the way to 6.7’s? I suppose the new 4.5’s are similar to the 4.5AR (but being slightly lighter).

I have a 5.6 and the 4.5AR so if anything, keep the AR’s and maybe get a set of 6.7.
The aero difference is apparently <1w per wheel. Why the 6.7? Honestly curious about this, is it based on Look&feel?
(part of the reason is I've got a pair of rsl 51 on order because I couldn't justify the premium for 62s if the gain is so little. I can get a better deal on the 51 set for a reason I don't know).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com