Too few spokes - what’s the actual problem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hansotto089

by hansotto089

Hi guys

I have a set of 24H/24H Farsports Carbon wheels with Carbon-Ti hubs that I built up for road cycling & climbing. They are relatively deep (40/50).

Now I am considering to repurpose them as Gravel wheels but am concerned they might not have enough spokes for me as a heavy rider (90 kg) and off-road riding.

First, what’s your take on that?

Second, what’s really the main concern when you don’t have enough spokes - is it that the wheel might not feel stiff enough, or is it really a true reliability concern?

Thanks guys!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

The ZIPP 303s, which are (at least partly) gravel wheels also have 24 spokes front and rear with a similar depth. So I wouldnt worry too muhc about that. The only unkown for me are the hubs, as I have no experience with Carbon-Ti hubs for gravel. It also depends on the type of spokes you have, as that can greatly impact the durability.

Aesch

by Aesch

I would say just go for it, if you start to break spokes you know they're the weak spot and you'll have to choose stronger ones and redo the wheel.
My gravel wheels from dt (gr1600) have 24 spokes, strong ones though.

usr

by usr

Why would a set of spokes that's good for high speed cornering with 23mm tires on some remote mountain road that has been crudely patched up over and over again for decades be challenged by cruising trails at moderate speed on cushy wide tires?

TLN

by TLN

I won't go for any lightweight options, but I'm ok with any regular 24/24 options.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc