Black inc 20 vs Roval Alpinist CLX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ff119

by ff119

I am a very light rider, 43kg and struggle with cross winds, want to upgrade my stock 30's for something better

Which of these 2 would you go for and why?

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Of those two, I would likely get the Rovals. While you would be well below the weight limit for both, the Rovals have a higher weight limit which would imply a stronger wheel. Also, Roval/Specialized has been in the business for a long time, has more product out there (i.e., riders potentially providing feedback), and may provide better warranty support/spare parts selection.

However, reviews for both wheels are good, and with your weight and intended purposes (concerns about crosswinds), you probably won't go wrong with either wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ff119

by ff119

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:49 pm
Of those two, I would likely get the Rovals. While you would be well below the weight limit for both, the Rovals have a higher weight limit which would imply a stronger wheel. Also, Roval/Specialized has been in the business for a long time, has more product out there (i.e., riders potentially providing feedback), and may provide better warranty support/spare parts selection.

However, reviews for both wheels are good, and with your weight and intended purposes (concerns about crosswinds), you probably won't go wrong with either wheelset.
Do you think there is a difference in crosswinds between 20 and 33? It could be every wheel is hard with cross winds but as I haven't tested it, I don't know.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

There may be a difference in crosswinds between the wheels, but it is hard to say what that difference may be. I know that a lot of people feel (and apparently studies can demonstrate) that crosswind stability is not just the result of rim depth alone, but a complex combination of rim depth, rim shape (rounded, v-profile, box), rim width, spoke number and profile, and rim/tire interface. It is possible that the lower profile rim could actually be worse in crosswinds, due to the other factors working against them.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Why not go with simethibh lighter? What is it that you want from the wheels besides crosswind stability?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ff119

by ff119

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:17 pm
Why not go with simethibh lighter? What is it that you want from the wheels besides crosswind stability?
lighter than 1250 grams?

stability is the main bit in wind and normal days

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Yeah, of course. Light bicycle, Extralite and many others can be build up to sub 1100g with bladed spokes and 1000g with textile spokes.
I love the C339 Cyberdisc. Sub 1100g with Sapim CX Ray and Extralite hubs. They are hookless though. There are similar products with hooks...
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ff119

by ff119

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:27 pm
Yeah, of course. Light bicycle, Extralite and many others can be build up to sub 1100g with bladed spokes and 1000g with textile spokes.
I love the C339 Cyberdisc. Sub 1100g with Sapim CX Ray and Extralite hubs. They are hookless though. There are similar products with hooks...
besides a tad lighter would it be better than the CLX?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I don't think there is one universal answer to this. For me personally, who wanted to build up a very light bike, using TL HL compatible tires (Conti S TR), but still appreciated the potential added aero benefit of a wider, deeper (39mm deep, it's still perfectly stable down fast and gusty descents), I like the Extralites better...
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com