Wheel Suggestion For Aethos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

Recently i get enve SES AR 4.5 with CK hub and 28c continental GP5000TR Tire , Put them on tarmac sl7 swap my ARC1400 and wow im very impressed with the ride quality, very Smooth and comfort but still fast even for climbing which i dont hope too high. The performance is super for my like, i think i really like the 25mm inner which really great comfort

Now i want to get same performance and ride quality wheel for my aethos but lower weight, for now i use bora wto 45 which i feel slow response and even with 30C Tire the comfort still lack behind the enve up there

In my research i found Two candidates
1. Enve 3.4 AR
2. Zipp 303FC

Can i get enlightened which I must choose? Or maybe other wheels I open for suggestion

I will use the aethos for long ride, tarmac not smooth some broken and hole. Mix climb (around 4-20 grad) and flat so weight and comfort is priority

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okx

by okx

I'm also looking for a new wheels for Aethos.
Enve 3.4 AR - isn't too havy? I would think about Enve SES 3.4 (non AR) but they are a litle too expensive.
Zipp 303FC - I didn't liked idea of putting 28mm havy tyre on quite lite rim.

Roval Alpinist II would be a nice option, but they increased rim weight :(
Bontrager RSL 37 - looks very interesting option and at this moment this is the only option on my list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

okx wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm
I'm also looking for a new wheels for Aethos.
Enve 3.4 AR - isn't too havy? I would think about Enve SES 3.4 (non AR) but they are a litle too expensive.
Zipp 303FC - I didn't liked idea of putting 28mm havy tyre on quite lite rim.

Roval Alpinist II would be a nice option, but they increased rim weight :(
Bontrager RSL 37 - looks very interesting option and at this moment this is the only option on my list.
I dont Mind 1.4kg wheel for trade off comfort same with 28c Tire (which the minimum size for 25mm inner rim widht) and i think 3.4 AR is a little or about same weight compare to my bora wto but have much comfort, so its fine for Me
Like i Said the Road in my area isnt perfect smooth and i dont want to get beaten, Thats not enjoyable 😄

Roval alpinist both old and New is good on weight but i dont think they have same comfort level with a wheel inner 25mm widht Since alpinist just have 21mm Thats why i dont include them or RSL which in here the Price of both doesnt far from enve 3.4 AR with CK hub

justonwo

by justonwo

I really enjoy the Alpinist wheels I have on my Aethos. Fast, light, stiff. If you need tubeless, DT Swiss PRC 1100 are fantastic. I had them on my Canyon Ultimate. Very light.

I also have the Zipp 353 NSW wheels. Very light. Wider rim and more aero. Great wheels, but I've had noise issues with the rear wheel that I can sort out. Enve is about to release an update to the 3.4 in two weeks which will be wider and lighter. Perhaps in the 1250 gram range for the set. I've seen a set at my local shop. They'll be released in two weeks.
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

justonwo wrote:I really enjoy the Alpinist wheels I have on my Aethos. Fast, light, stiff. If you need tubeless, DT Swiss PRC 1100 are fantastic. I had them on my Canyon Ultimate. Very light.

I also have the Zipp 353 NSW wheels. Very light. Wider rim and more aero. Great wheels, but I've had noise issues with the rear wheel that I can sort out. Enve is about to release an update to the 3.4 in two weeks which will be wider and lighter. Perhaps in the 1250 gram range for the set. I've seen a set at my local shop. They'll be released in two weeks.
353 nsw out of budget, really want ot though ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okx

by okx

justonwo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:33 am
I really enjoy the Alpinist wheels I have on my Aethos. Fast, light, stiff. If you need tubeless, DT Swiss PRC 1100 are fantastic. I had them on my Canyon Ultimate. Very light.

Where did you seen updated ENVE? I guess, not in Europe?
Just wondering, when they should reach Eu.

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

okx wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:26 pm
justonwo wrote:

Where did you seen updated ENVE? I guess, not in Europe?
Just wondering, when they should reach Eu.
Yup i dont Find any News about it, been search with many keyword oN Google

yingyu

by yingyu

justonwo wrote:
I also have the Zipp 353 NSW wheels. Very light. Wider rim and more aero. Great wheels, but I've had noise issues with the rear wheel that I can sort out.
My 353's rear hub used to make squishing/clicking noises when it engaged. LBS re-oiled the ratchet and now it's quiet. Did you bring your noisy wheel to a local Zipp dealer for inspection?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justonwo

by justonwo

yingyu wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:56 am
justonwo wrote:
I also have the Zipp 353 NSW wheels. Very light. Wider rim and more aero. Great wheels, but I've had noise issues with the rear wheel that I can sort out.
My 353's rear hub used to make squishing/clicking noises when it engaged. LBS re-oiled the ratchet and now it's quiet. Did you bring your noisy wheel to a local Zipp dealer for inspection?
Not yet, but that's the next step. I had a hard time figuring out what the issue was and went through a wide variety of troubleshooting steps. I finally swapped out the wheels and the issue resolved. Now I just need to drop off the wheels for some work.
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber