Spoke noise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CR987

by CR987

Hi, I have a pair of Roval CLX32 rim brake wheels. When I'm on a certain climb that is more than 20% and I'm grinding up with slower cadence and high torque I can hear a kinda ticking noise coming from the rear spokes. It sounds almost exactly like the rear cage I the highest gear is touching the spokes.
It's not even close but that's what it sounds like. I can hear the sound if it's on the largest or second largest rear cog.
The spoke tension doesn't feel particularly hard or soft.
I can hear any noise during any other part of the ride, its only when I'm really grinding hard at slow cadence.
Any ideas please?

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I have the same on a pair of Campy Eurus (last gen. with the Shamal aluminum spokes) on similar very steep (over 15%) grades. I put a little bit of Boeshield t-9 on the spoke "heads" at the hub interface, and it seems to have helped a little bit. Or maybe I just got used to it.

You could try the same drop of "dry" lube on the spoke heads and, perhaps, where the spokes cross (if they touch where they cross; the Eurus spokes do not) and see if it helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CR987

by CR987

Thanks, I wasn't too worried about the noise, it only happens on a short stretch of 20% incline. I was more worried that a spoke is about to snap

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

No prob. at all. Another thing you can check is your cassette; Dura Ace 11-speed cassettes (especially the 9000-series) are notorious for having issues with the carbon composite spider interface, or, in some instances, a slightly loose lockring (Shimano specs. 40nm) could make noise under that circumstance.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Check the spoke tension for a loose spoke. I fixed a similar problem on a friend’s bike. You can test it without riding the bike by tilting the bike and put your weight on the pedals at the 6’O clock position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Happened on my CLX50 Disc as well under high torque climbing situation.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

CR987

by CR987

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:00 am
Check the spoke tension for a loose spoke. I fixed a similar problem on a friend’s bike. You can test it without riding the bike by tilting the bike and put your weight on the pedals at the 6’O clock position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, do you mind elaborating on what you mean. Just pulling the spokes together it seems like spokes are pretty equal in tension. None of them stood out as being loose.

Also, I'm using an Ultegra cassette.

CR987

by CR987

jlok wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:38 pm
And did you manage to fix it?

jlok

by jlok

CR987 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:12 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:38 pm
And did you manage to fix it?
No, I left it that way. It's unpleasant but not really a problem I think.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

milanv

by milanv

I had this problem with FFWD rear wheel. It was based on loosing nipples tight, add special type of Loctite inside at the beginning can help. So advice is to tight them/let LBS to tight them and add any threadfit Loctite to nipples.

It has to be said that I am not heavy and on the limit, anyone could be.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

I have the same problem with CLX32s. I think it comes from where the spokes cross and rub with high torque. I've added some lube there on other wheels that have had the same problem and the noise disappeared. Haven't got round to it on my CLX32s.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Roval wheels are notoriously noisy on the rear spokes.

Clean out the area where the spokes cross and/or give them a dab of lube.

CR987

by CR987

Thanks for the replies, I will test to see if the noise is coming from the crossed-over spokes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Hey guys, i have Zipp 404 FC, and the rear wheel developed a creaking noise as well, I believe it's because spokes rubbed its lacquer or elox layer, and that developed creaking. I had the wheelset re-tightened/centered and still happening.

https://youtu.be/CiDlSLSHu6w

It is in the place where spokes are crossing as you can see on the video.

I have the following options

1) replace spokes with new ones
2) rebuild the wheelset so there is no crossing
3) grease the place where spokes are touching very often (lasts like 30 minutes of riding)
4) see if ZIPP / SRAM is helpful
5) lace the wheelset in the crossing section with carbon fibre
6) or there was some small insert you put between spokes, it was very small and made from plastic - do you recall? i can't find it anymore.

https://youtu.be/CiDlSLSHu6w
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p