elite drive Vs winspace hypers

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
biwa

by biwa

Do these carbon spoked wheels ride any differently from steel spokes ones? I think most people seem to feel they're harsher when riding on not so perfect roads..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I will tell you tomorrow but I raced on Mavic Ultimates and Reynolds RZRs both which have carbon spokes and if that is all I could ride I would, IMO the stiffer the better, but I was a racer and old habits die hard. I always felt faster on carbon spokes.

eeney

by eeney

My post dissapeared. I've just got my 45/55 hypers, moved from 30mm alloy wheels. Oddly/surprisingly the hypers actually feel smoother. I was expecting more responsive but harsher, I was so surprised that I check the spoke tension to make sure nothing was amiss.

I'm running the same setup as the alloy wheels, clincher 25mm tyres with latex tubes.

Keen to hear others experiences, perhaps I'm just imagining it to justify my new wheels, like a honeymoon period

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I will second that, I feel that way also, these wheels are smoother not harsher. I actually wanted harsher wheels call me crazy but that is what I like.
But yes in all seriousness these wheels are more comfortable then other wheels. Could be the new tires which are Kenda Koutach 23mm also.
The bike is as light as its ever been, a Colnago C60 14.3 pounds. This is my everything bike so I will ride it on gravel at somepoint soon and I'll let you know how
they feel on that but I expect they will feel more comfortable there as well. Also the braking performane is great. I have eebrakes and I had to remove the black spacers.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Here is a little update, I actually think there is something wrong with the rear wheel. It spins true, no problem there but it feels like something is dragging.
I do not have a labratory so I tested them outside on a climb I know very well. Two days back to back on the same climb and I was one minute slower with the Winspace rear wheel in vs. a Mavic R-sys. The Winspace is lighter also. And I was actually riding harder on the day with the Winspace wheels.
I am taking the wheels to a mechanic but I expect him to shrug and say 'seems ok to me.'

Has anyone else needed to replace bearings or add grease/oil to the hubs? Otherwise I have no idea.

C36

by C36

mattcooke wrote:Here is a little update, I actually think there is something wrong with the rear wheel. It spins true, no problem there but it feels like something is dragging.
I do not have a labratory so I tested them outside on a climb I know very well. Two days back to back on the same climb and I was one minute slower with the Winspace rear wheel in vs. a Mavic R-sys. The Winspace is lighter also. And I was actually riding harder on the day with the Winspace wheels.
I am taking the wheels to a mechanic but I expect him to shrug and say 'seems ok to me.'

Has anyone else needed to replace bearings or add grease/oil to the hubs? Otherwise I have no idea.
Using time is very misleading. A simple different wind condition makes a lot of difference, not to mention if you use a jersey with different fit.
You need to compare power and power/heart rate to start having a hint.

If the difference was on a climb, then the freewheel has nothing to do but that’s the main problem I have with those wheels.
The freewheel does have some extra drag compared to other wheels I have right now here (shimano c24 carbon and Ksyrium SLR).
I can run a torque measurement when I have more time.

You mention bearing, how do they spin under your fingers? From my experience a recurrent problem comes from rear hub average water resistance. I seized 3 bearings after 2 winter rides where I couldn’t clean them immediately after the ride (the Ksyrium did the entire winter, under snow w/o a problem) and I just noticed the replacement FH they sent me start to show signs of damages on the left bearing (exclusively used under dry condition).

Looking after other explanations
- some rear spokes may turn and then create quite some extra drag
- what tires do you use on both wheels?

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Those are good points so thank you. I did wear exactly the same thing. The wind was the same. The tires are the same also.
I had a higher VAM and went slower with the Winspace vs the R-Sys. 1297 vs 1250. My power slightly higher with the Winspace also 297 vs 290.

****I just took your advice and checked the bearings; the rear wheel is rough and the front wheel is VERY rough. These wheels are virtually brand new so it looks like I need to contact Winspace. This is really disapointing.

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

mattcooke wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:28 pm
Those are good points so thank you. I did wear exactly the same thing. The wind was the same. The tires are the same also.
I had a higher VAM and went slower with the Winspace vs the R-Sys. 1297 vs 1250. My power slightly higher with the Winspace also 297 vs 290.

****I just took your advice and checked the bearings; the rear wheel is rough and the front wheel is VERY rough. These wheels are virtually brand new so it looks like I need to contact Winspace. This is really disapointing.
So what you saying is you have a higher VAM but the speed is slower?
This is weird. Because your VAM is your climbing speed. VAM is for "Vertical Ascent in Meters".

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I am just going by what Strava said, but yeah man those are the numbers. Also the climb is like 16% average gradient or something like that, so maybe that does something to the time. Eitherway the bearings are rough.

jjones

by jjones

are the elite drive rims hooked or hookless? I have been searching and can't find anything....

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

mattcooke wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:28 pm

So how did it end? How are your wheels bro? Looking for a new light aero wheels and thinking between winspace and elite
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Very sorry I just saw this. I paid for my mechanic to put new bearings in. If I was to do this again I would 100% go with Elite.
I'd love to hear what you end up with and how you feel.
Best,
Matt

MagicShite

by MagicShite

biwa wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:17 pm
Do these carbon spoked wheels ride any differently from steel spokes ones? I think most people seem to feel they're harsher when riding on not so perfect roads..
Quite significantly harsher. :noidea: I really don't get the hype with carbon spokes.

In some boutique wheel builder houses in China, many have gone with lower spoke tension and/or went back to steel spokes.

If you're heavy you probably won't feel it much.

toshi

by toshi

I noticed Elite is selling road wheels with DT star ratchet freehub clones. Anyone have long-ish term experience with Elite ratchet-based hubs?

• Listing on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832672038624.html
• Related YT video on Elite ratchet freehub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7OhXOW40A
Attachments
elite_ratchet.png

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

jjones wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:26 am
are the elite drive rims hooked or hookless? I have been searching and can't find anything....
hooked.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com