elite drive Vs winspace hypers

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
eeney

by eeney

Peak Torque has also posted his review on youtube.

Again, doesn't say too much that others haven't. Wheels seem sound. If you're on the fence between Winspace and Elite then there doesn't seem to be much difference, other than Winspace have had better social media publicity for longer. Elite seem to have been making wheels just as long, but less social media marketing until how (from what I see), although there is evidence in the hub revisions that Elite may still be ironing out minor wrinkles with this new Drive model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevesbike

by stevesbike

elfuinha wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:39 pm
stevesbike wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:55 am
My ultralight set arrived a few days ago and I've had a few rides on them - will post more but first impressions. They are now substantially lighter - set came in at 1270 with valves and tubeless tape installed (came installed, which was nice) so probably right at or a bit under the claimed weight of 1255. They are were typical in terms of installing tires (Hutchinson Performance 25) - tight but could wrestle them on without levers. Sealed up well. On the road, they are really impressive. Extremely stiff and responsive, brake track works well. I tried the pads that came with them and they are surprisingly good. I especially like that the rear carbon drive-side spokes don't touch where they cross. This was a design concern with carbon spokes (worry about wear due to abrasion) so good to see they have offset drilling to avoid this. My plan is to use these as a raceday wheelset, but it's going to be hard to not be tempted - they are really impressive. I'm surprised by how much the cabon spokes damp vibration while also making the wheel so stiff. It's definitely a very different sensation (in a good way) from other wheelsets I've used.
Hello Steve

can you messure the 25mm tyre installed on that rims.
My fork only addmits 26mm at the most.

Let me know please. Thanks
Best Regards
mine are a bit over 27 but I run Hutchinson which are also larger than 25 on my other rims so another tire might be OK. The internal width isn't likely going to be the issue for most - it's the outer width, which is at least 29mm. This is OK for my g4 eebrakes but it is close with sram red calipers. It would likely require running thinner pads (I think SwissStop made some version of theirs for this issue).

eeney

by eeney

New Hypers up now Winspace Hypers 2023

These are very tempting, although very slightly over my planned budget. I was leaning towards the Elite's, but Hypers are more real world tested, and I like the idea of different depth wheels front/back. Very confused, but Hypers may have won me over.

Jz91

by Jz91

eeney wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:49 pm

Again, doesn't say too much that others haven't. Wheels seem sound. If you're on the fence between Winspace and Elite then there doesn't seem to be much difference, other than Winspace have had better social media publicity for longer. Elite seem to have been making wheels just as long, but less social media marketing until how (from what I see), although there is evidence in the hub revisions that Elite may still be ironing out minor wrinkles with this new Drive model.
I didn't quite get what the thing with noise under braking was. Is this common to the wheelset then? :roll:

Also wrt to the hub, I got lost watching several videos. What are they revising currently?

I was also thinking of getting perhaps the 6 bolt version as it may be lighter and have more choice of disks.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Jz91 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:54 am
eeney wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:49 pm

I didn't quite get what the thing with noise under braking was. Is this common to the wheelset then? :roll:

Also wrt to the hub, I got lost watching several videos. What are they revising currently?

I was also thinking of getting perhaps the 6 bolt version as it may be lighter and have more choice of disks.
AFAIK the original hubs had not enough material supporting the wheel bearings, which became loose in the hub. This is supposed to be fixed now. I was puzzled by the braking noise as the wheel itself doesn't generate noise but could be amplifying or resonating certain frequencies. Regards 6bolt or centerlock I would think centerlock gives you more versatility as you can always run 6 bolt adaptors.

C36

by C36

If I leave aside that multiple people with single digit post are pushing for those wheels, to me they have nothing like the Hyper.

First and foremost, they are not stiff. Peaktorque stiffness jig still has multiple flaws and the results are all slightly underestimated but looking at relative deformation, they fall quite behind, like Hunt and probably behind Cadex. As consequence they are just a normal wheel, nothing out of the average but a good price to weight, so other brands too.

cissepauwels

by cissepauwels

C36 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:07 am
If I leave aside that multiple people with single digit post are pushing for those wheels, to me they have nothing like the Hyper.

First and foremost, they are not stiff. Peaktorque stiffness jig still has multiple flaws and the results are all slightly underestimated but looking at relative deformation, they fall quite behind, like Hunt and probably behind Cadex. As consequence they are just a normal wheel, nothing out of the average but a good price to weight, so other brands too.

Are the hypers not stiff or the elite you mean?
I'm interested in the new 2023 hypers

C36

by C36

cissepauwels wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:22 pm
C36 wrote:

The elite are the ones that are not stiff, like the Hunts previously tested, they are not getting the maximum out of the Carbon spokes. Could be the rim, could be the hub geometry (or both). 2023 stiffness should be published in an upcoming video.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Hi all,

I am going to buy the rim brake ones of one of these two wheels, and my question is this, does anyone know if the Winspace Hypers have a textured brake track?
I have seen that the Elite Drive wheels do, but I am leaning towards the Hypers. I live in a mountainous area so this is something I would like to know before I decide.
Thanks all.

Matt

eeney

by eeney

I just got the Hypers 2023, the brake track is smooth, however with the provided brake pads the braking is fine.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks mate, I think I will buy them, here's hoping I can go faster than with my current R-Sys wheels.

cissepauwels

by cissepauwels

C36 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:54 pm
cissepauwels wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:22 pm
C36 wrote:

The elite are the ones that are not stiff, like the Hunts previously tested, they are not getting the maximum out of the Carbon spokes. Could be the rim, could be the hub geometry (or both). 2023 stiffness should be published in an upcoming video.
I hope they are tested stiff

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I just got my winspace hypers the R33 rim brakes. The weight is 1,232 grams.

Can you guys tell me if I need a spacer if I am running an 11 speed shimano cassette? And which one.
Thank you so much!

Matt

eeney

by eeney

mattcooke wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:02 am
I just got my winspace hypers the R33 rim brakes. The weight is 1,232 grams.......
Shouldn't need a spacer for 11 speed on a shimano freehub, no. Spacers are only for 10 speed and lower. The Hypers by default should ship with a standard 11 speed cassette, assuming you chose the standard Shimano at time of purchase.

My R45s are about 100g heavier, pretty impressive, no complaints so far. I did feel the affect of deeper wheels in the wind last week, but not too bad. The biggest surprise is that the wheels are very comfortable and smooth, I had set expectations of a firmer/harsher ride, pleasant surprise.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

awesome bro, thanks. I have eebrakes and I need to take a spacer out b/c these rims are wider than my Mavic R-Sys. Fingers crossed I can get it all set up right!
There seems to be very little brake track for what it's worth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com