Aeolus RSL 62 vs. LB WR 65 ideas?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aesch

by Aesch

I'm in the market for a deep wheelset. Since I'm 80+ kg and ride flat / nearly flat roads all the time I feel I could go as deep as 62/65mm without much trouble.

Currently I ride farsports feders 45&carbon ti hubs which is a really nice combination.

The reason to go deeper is partly to go for a wider rim too and ride 28mm tyres at a lower pressure and maybe even combine with tubeless. Other then that looks and maybe a tiny bit of "free" speed too.
I've been looking at some options, among which the zipp 404s (same external width as my current rims so not ideal, hub =?), visions new wheels (mweh, build quality apparently bad, no brand appeal, unavailable anyway), mavic (too narrow), bora wto (too narrow) and finally have the bontrager aeolus RSL 62s and the LB WR 65 with carbon ti hubs left over.

Pros/cons I can think of:
Rsl62:
+ great warranty, built and designed as a system so likely more optimised, reported to be stiff and fast, light (1520gr)
- price (~2000usd)
WR65
+ price (<1400usd), no hassle change with my other wheels since the same hub, choice of finish, brass nipples
- not sure as to the exact aero benefits/comparison vs the RSL wheels, weight (1625gr).

I would like to ask your opinions on which you would choose/prefer. Also, if I've completely missed a contender I'd love to look into it!

djel

by djel

The Hunt 65 would probably sit in between the Bontrager and LB in terms of price and weight, but I can't speak about the aero performance.

HUNT 65 CARBON AERO DISC
65 DEEP | 27 WIDE | 1596G | 1,179$

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/products/ ... c-wheelset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Aesch wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 pm
I'm in the market for a deep wheelset. Since I'm 80+ kg and ride flat / nearly flat roads all the time I feel I could go as deep as 62/65mm without much trouble.

Currently I ride farsports feders 45&carbon ti hubs which is a really nice combination.

The reason to go deeper is partly to go for a wider rim too and ride 28mm tyres at a lower pressure and maybe even combine with tubeless. Other then that looks and maybe a tiny bit of "free" speed too.
I've been looking at some options, among which the zipp 404s (same external width as my current rims so not ideal, hub =?), visions new wheels (mweh, build quality apparently bad, no brand appeal, unavailable anyway), mavic (too narrow), bora wto (too narrow) and finally have the bontrager aeolus RSL 62s and the LB WR 65 with carbon ti hubs left over.

Rsl62:
+ great warranty, built and designed as a system so likely more optimised, reported to be stiff and fast, light (1520gr)
- price (~2000usd)
WR65
+ price (<1400usd), no hassle change with my other wheels since the same hub, choice of finish, brass nipples
- not sure as to the exact aero benefits/comparison vs the RSL wheels, weight (1625gr).

I would like to ask your opinions on which you would choose/prefer. Also, if I've completely missed a contender I'd love to look into it!
RSL 62 is now $2700 MSRP, with limited discounts available. And the warranty is only for original owner, so the price would be 2x as much as the LB wheels.

That being said I doubt you'll find any wheels that are demonstrably "better" than the RSLs. Bontrager makes great wheels, and they often test faster than their depth. Add in incredible weights and they really are fantastic wheels.

Light Bicycle for value and customization, RSL for weight, speed and warranty.

Aesch

by Aesch

yinzerniner wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:39 pm
Aesch wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 pm

Rsl62:
- price (~2000usd)
WR65

RSL 62 is now $2700 MSRP, with limited discounts available. And the warranty is only for original owner, so the price would be 2x as much as the LB wheels.

That being said I doubt you'll find any wheels that are demonstrably "better" than the RSLs. Bontrager makes great wheels, and they often test faster than their depth. Add in incredible weights and they really are fantastic wheels.

Light Bicycle for value and customization, RSL for weight, speed and warranty.
Thanks! I have an actual offer for a new from the shop RSL wheelset at the above price (2050 usd at todays rate). That's what keeps luring me back to them, hard to pass on that great deal :mrgreen: :wink:

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Aesch wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:53 pm
Thanks! I have an actual offer for a new from the shop RSL wheelset at the above price (2050 usd at todays rate). That's what keeps luring me back to them, hard to pass on that great deal :mrgreen: :wink:
Is this shop a Trek/Bontrager certified dealer? I want to see if they can run the same pricing for me...
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Aesch

by Aesch

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:28 pm
Aesch wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:53 pm
Is this shop a Trek/Bontrager certified dealer? I want to see if they can run the same pricing for me...
Think so, he orders from trek. Eta August though.
Bike shop in Oosterhout, the netherlands

Aesch

by Aesch

I now have an offer for the RSL51's which is even better..makes me tempted to go that route and sell the other wheelset.
Since even Trek can't tell me the actual difference between the wheels, and in their promo video the difference is <1w per wheel that should be a good compromise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com