<28mm Low profile climbers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

indytim

by indytim

I have never raced IRL (but do in Zwift) and have an opportunity to try an IRL TT with a friend, in July. My best bike is a Tarmac SL7 which I just built and completed about three weeks ago.
Since it’s not a dedicated TT bike I’m looking at competing in the Merckx category. If I do I’ll need new wheels - I’ve got Zipp 303s’ and for this event, rim depth is capped at 28mm.
I can go two directions and I’m looking for ideas.

Plan A: don’t spend too much $$$ since this could be a one-off event. I could hate it and never compete again. Or I could love it and end up with a dedicated TT bike. I think the spirit of Merckx is to not optimize for aero, run what you have. But saying that, any recommendations for a low-profile disc wheelset, <28mm, for a TT event?

Plan B: if I’m going to buy new, low profile wheels, invest in a good set that is super light and optimized for climbing. I’m in SW Missouri and Arkansas beckons. Lots of good climbs down there, like Mt Adams. So, any recommendations for sub-1250g wheels that would check the box for this event and be great climbers as well? Max budget would be $2500, but $1500ish is more comfortable.

For Plan B I’m looking at a custom DTswiss build with RR421 rims on 180 hubs - they’re a bit heavy at 1370g but ideal from a budget perspective.
I’m also considering Black Twentys and have looked at Farsports as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

If you'd consider tubulars, you could build a pair of Farsports FSL25TM-23SL rims with budget hubs (I used Bitex) and have a ~1100 gram disc wheelset for ~$800. My rims, without brake track, came in around 235 grams but it looks like they are now claiming 220 grams for their 'superlight' option. I used 24H hubs/rims and Sapim CX-ray spokes.

As move into clinchers/tubeless you need to spend more and more to hit that same weight, though it does sound like your budget can handle it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

indytim

by indytim

joejack951 wrote:If you'd consider tubulars, you could build a pair of Farsports FSL25TM-23SL rims with budget hubs (I used Bitex) and have a ~1100 gram disc wheelset for ~$800.
I don’t know if I’m ready to get into tubulars.

But Farsports have tubeless options and I’m looking at them as an option. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

How steep are these climbs. You don't save a lot of weight going from 40mm down to 32mm down to 28mm, but you do gain a lot of drag. If you're climbing over 13mph, go with ~40mm deep wheels.

yingyu

by yingyu

If I read the post correctly, the event rules limit rim depth to <28mm. Many good climbing wheels are deeper than this to be stiff enough. So I feel this would be an event wheelset and doesn't worth spending too much.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

yingyu wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:54 am
If I read the post correctly, the event rules limit rim depth to <28mm. Many good climbing wheels are deeper than this to be stiff enough. So I feel this would be an event wheelset and doesn't worth spending too much.
Yeah, I'm a derp. The lightest alloy rims he can find I guess... Really dumb rule IMO.

ronflea

by ronflea

Dtswiss pr 1400 would be a good choice

Redmi Note 9 Pro cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

we51

by we51

How about the best set of <28mm wheels that you can borrow?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com