I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

Just in case anyone is interested... Bought Galfers MTB Centerlock option (fixed 1.8mm).
Wanted Swisstop, but they are out of stock everywhere.

Formula Monolitic seems OK, but customers reviews are a bit mixed and no professional reviews. I like the fact that Formulas advertise quietness, but they are allegedly made of soft steel. Probably not the best option.

TRPs have problems with stock as well...

Jagwire LR2 seem like a not bad higher midrange option, sexy design. But it seems that Galfers might be of better overall quality, better suited for purpose.

Very hard to choose without having full information at hand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Recently I thought it was time to change rotors,/even though they didn't need yet/,
But I ordered a set of Galfers and set of Kool stop brake pads...

After rotor swap and fixing the lazy pistons on both front and rear, I can report that besides that Galfers needed a little truing, brakes are 100%.

Super quiet and powerful.
I can't tell if it is more or less powerful than SRAM Centerline, but definitely up to par with it.
All this is on SRAM AXS 2 piece calipers.

Never had a single problem with AXS brakes and Centerline rotors, no squealing, pinging, etc.

Just love the look of Galfers...😁😁😁.

P.S. One issue/not really, but a little strange/ with Galfers...

I switched wheels from road bike Canyon Ultimate/wheels are LB AR 56, to my gravel bike-Ribble CGR SL, to be able to ride it on the road...

And the strange thing is that on the Canyon if I use the lock ring from Galfer it works fine, if I switched to the Ribble I have to switch lock rings and put internal splined one from Shimano and vice versa, otherwise lock ring rubs on the fork.

Same applies when put the wheel back on the Canyon have to switch the lock ring to externally splined one.

Other than that very happy with Galfer, super quiet/ I think this is from pads too.

Sram pad material is harder/I think.

RyanH

by RyanH

For me, I was ready to punt the Aethos due to noise and annoyances with the Centerline and Shimano rotors. I put my hefty Ekar rotors back on and haven't heard a peep from them plus they feel better while braking. Unfortunately, they're on the heavy side.

musiclover

by musiclover

For me, I was a bit pushed towards changing the rotor. I had the stock Shimano rotors which are their sandwich design (aluminium with stainless on top). I always experienced squealing from the front rotor. It is somewhat pad dependant, worse with some pads better with others, I only use Shimano pads. It would always squeal more in wet weather. In dry, it would usually squeal at certain speed. If I give them a very strong push at very high speed I normally just hear healthy hiss. But once I have almost come to the stop and the effort is less on a very slow speed - very loud melodic banshee cry just before the full stop.
I really hope to remedy this with Galfers.

In terms of warping - Shimano rotors have not been very good. I had to true them a couple of times. I do not enjoy trueing the rotors - it is a job that you do without enough feedback and it is not always obvious how to do it. So the results of rotor bending are somewhat random, but I always succeeded in the end... Just enough so that the wobble or the beating of the rotor is just good enough for it not to touch the break pads.

Maddie

by Maddie

In dry conditions, my xtr rotors with Shimano resin pads are 100% squeal free, no matter how hard or soft I brake. Not so much in wet or rainy conditions though. Sounds like contamination to me when your brakes squeal in dry conditions.

But yes, Shimano rotors have a tendency to warp when used hard.

Aesch

by Aesch

musiclover wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:12 am
For me, I was a bit pushed towards changing the rotor. I had the stock Shimano rotors which are their sandwich design (aluminium with stainless on top). I always experienced squealing from the front rotor. It is somewhat pad dependant, worse with some pads better with others, I only use Shimano pads. It would always squeal more in wet weather. In dry, it would usually squeal at certain speed. If I give them a very strong push at very high speed I normally just hear healthy hiss. But once I have almost come to the stop and the effort is less on a very slow speed - very loud melodic banshee cry just before the full stop.
I really hope to remedy this with Galfers.

In terms of warping - Shimano rotors have not been very good. I had to true them a couple of times. I do not enjoy trueing the rotors - it is a job that you do without enough feedback and it is not always obvious how to do it. So the results of rotor bending are somewhat random, but I always succeeded in the end... Just enough so that the wobble or the beating of the rotor is just good enough for it not to touch the break pads.
similar experience for me with 1 out of 4 brakes (rear on road bike), im now going to replaced the whole caliper since i suspect some leakage (i can get it to go away with new pads and clean rotor, however it returns in ~200km every time).