Elite Wheels - Carbon Spoke PE40/45/50 1260g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JPuerto

by JPuerto

Hi all! :D

I'm in the hunt for a new light all-rounder disc wheelset (40-45mm depth) and already considered Farsport Feder's with Carbon-ti +CX-Ray and equivalent from Light Bicycle as well as some of the "local" brands such as Scribe, Hunt and a couple of wheel builders from Spain.

The new trend of using UD carbon spokes seems to be a thing so I've been having a look at the reviews of Winspace's Hypers and the brands mentioned above and out of curiosity I had a look at Elite Wheels from Aliexpress. A friend of mine has an ENT disc pair and they seem to hold strong and true but I cannot find any information/external reviews about their carbon spoked offerings. AFAIK Elite Wheels as a brand/seller are legit and they are pushing strong to get into the Spanish market and they've been responding fast and accurately to my questions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 1e01VY3Lnd

Specs are:

Ceramic bearings
21 spokes front 24 spokes rear

PE40:
Depth: 40mm
Int: 21mm
Ext: 28mm
Weight: Front 560g Rear 700g Total 1260g

PE45:
Weight: Front 570g Rear 710g Total 1280g

PE50:
Weight: Front 580g Rear 720g Total 1300g

Do you have any experience with this set? The hubs look similar to the competition but the fact that now I can get them for £850 (+ whatever customs ends up charging extra) makes them a nice alternative.

**Bonus question** Do you know if the decals are removable? A custom build with blank rims is possible with a considerable delay in production due to the Chinese holiday season coming soon. I already own a pair of Scope R5D with white stickers and I'd like to change things up a bit.

Thanks for the help!

:beerchug:

Last edited by JPuerto on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

They also have a rim brake version but they are slightly heavier and wider than the disc brake. I wonder if the 29mm external width will limit their compatability with a lot of brake calipers.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Looks like they also have a buy direct website:

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/dr ... c-bearing/

JPuerto

by JPuerto

mvnsnd wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:19 pm
Looks like they also have a buy direct website:

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/dr ... c-bearing/
Yep! I've seen that one, you can also find the "Drive" wheels in the Aliexpress shop, they seem to be pretty much the same with a different finish/look. I don't have much of an issue with Aliexpress as the middle man, the buyer protection they give (even if it's quite limited) has been of great help in other cases.

sbellote

by sbellote

about the decals, try reaching them through aliexpress with the question, or instagram, they seem pretty active there
from the people I know that bought Elite wheels on Ali, they assembled the wheels after the order, so I believe it's possible to customize the parts and ask for rims without decal or other colors (matte black for example)

RDY

by RDY

So what's the difference between the PE and Drive carbon spoked wheels? The rim obviously, but they're promoting the Drive wheels as the lightest strongest rim option. They appear however to be the same weight as PE - which have a completely different appearance - maybe the PE is just black paint and the Drive are thick gloss clear, and otherwise identical?

C36

by C36

I contacted them asking few technical questions and they were totally clue less... after two exchanges I gave up.
From those discussions they looked like simple parts assemblers.

milanv

by milanv

Any new information? Drive 40D seems to be an interesting alternative.

woodzyz

by woodzyz

milanv wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:47 am
Any new information? Drive 40D seems to be an interesting alternative.
Yes they are quite good i have been riding this for months,better than the WS i think,their rim design it is more modern good for big tire and 3 year warranty,they have their new G45 1.3kg gravel carbon spoke coming up
https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/dr ... isc-brake/

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

I have a set of venn var 37 with carbon ti hubs and 24F/R cx ray spokes. Cost £1350 hardly used looking for £600 if interested in the for sale section

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I'm waiting for the new version of their rim 40v, which is lighter. In the meantime, I bought a set of their BWT 45RXL wheels as an everyday set - sawtooth profile like a Zipp etc. Purchased directly from their website (online chat was helpful) and they arrived about a week after I ordered (Fedex was 2 days to CA). Impressed so far - excellent packaging, arrived with valves and tubeless tape installed, 10 grams under advertised weight. Spoke tension very even. I particularly like what they call their R shaped bead hook - this has a rounder profile than some others - I had a Reynolds wheel cut a sidewall due to a QC issue with the bead hook and this is a known issue with carbon clinchers. Wheels have been impressive on the road - stiff and very stable in windy conditions, which is what I was looking for since we can get very gusty wind conditions in Southern CA that make descents sketchy. I did a bit of background research - they sponsor China's UCI team (China Glory Cycling) and look like they are making a big push into the market with the Elite brand. I think the Drive series looks promising - the spoke holes are offset to avoid abrasion where the spokes overlap (the spokes appear not to contact one another) - this has been a potential failure mode for carbon spokes.
Attachments
bwt.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com