New wheelset advice - Roval Cl50 / FS / LB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tjoerd

by tjoerd

Hi all,

I would like some advice on a new purchase and would also like some real world experiences, as it seems there are a lot of riders owning (one of) the wheels mentioned below!

I'm looking at the following options, all more or less the same price point:
  • A lightly used set of used Roval CL50's (6 months, 1000km).
    New set of Farsports Gravel (50mm deep / 30 wide) with DT Swiss 240
    New set of Light Bicycle WR50's with DT Swiss 240
The FS/LB are a bit lower in weight, while Roval is a reputable brand. As you can probably see I would like relatively wide rims for the use of 28mm tubeless tyres. The weight difference is not essential, as most of the riding is pretty flat as I live in the Netherland. As my bike, 3T exploro Race is already pretty heavy, I don't want the wheels to be over 1,550g.
I would therefore like to hear your thoughts about performance / comfort / (crosswind) stability differences between these wheels?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers

Also asked this in Roval topic, sorry for any duplicate questions

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have LB WR50's with Carbon Ti, and Roval Rapides. Biggest difference by far is ththat Rovals handle better in crosswinds. Other than than, I don't notice anything else.
Factor Ostro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjoerd

by tjoerd

Thanks Fruitfly!

Had some nasty experiences with crosswinds, both in the Netherlands where I live as in descents so was an important factor for me. The second hand set of Roval's looked really good, so decided to go for it.
Will write a small review here for any future decision makers.

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

tjoerd wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am
Hi all,

I would like some advice on a new purchase and would also like some real world experiences, as it seems there are a lot of riders owning (one of) the wheels mentioned below!

I'm looking at the following options, all more or less the same price point:
  • A lightly used set of used Roval CL50's (6 months, 1000km).
    New set of Farsports Gravel (50mm deep / 30 wide) with DT Swiss 240
    New set of Light Bicycle WR50's with DT Swiss 240
The FS/LB are a bit lower in weight, while Roval is a reputable brand. As you can probably see I would like relatively wide rims for the use of 28mm tubeless tyres. The weight difference is not essential, as most of the riding is pretty flat as I live in the Netherland. As my bike, 3T exploro Race is already pretty heavy, I don't want the wheels to be over 1,550g.
I would therefore like to hear your thoughts about performance / comfort / (crosswind) stability differences between these wheels?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers

Also asked this in Roval topic, sorry for any duplicate questions
We suggest you take Gravel 50/30 from Farsports https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-wheels ... p0061.html
Hubs and spokes are all branded, and Farsports has more than 10 years experience in making carbon rims.
Use the coupon FAR40WH.

andreas

by andreas

I strongly disagree on Roval CL50 being good sidewind handlers, in fact I sold mine for that specific reason.

The newer Roval Rapide CLX (51/64, and possibly the cheaper version that is only sold with complete bikes) is a completely different story though, from what I understand they are considered amongst the very best sidewind handlers.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

I've not had any problems with my CL50s in sidewinds. I thought it was the CLX64s that were poor in sidewinds, although very efficient.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com