New wheelset advice - Roval Cl50 / FS / LB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tjoerd

by tjoerd

Hi all,

I would like some advice on a new purchase and would also like some real world experiences, as it seems there are a lot of riders owning (one of) the wheels mentioned below!

I'm looking at the following options, all more or less the same price point:
  • A lightly used set of used Roval CL50's (6 months, 1000km).
    New set of Farsports Gravel (50mm deep / 30 wide) with DT Swiss 240
    New set of Light Bicycle WR50's with DT Swiss 240
The FS/LB are a bit lower in weight, while Roval is a reputable brand. As you can probably see I would like relatively wide rims for the use of 28mm tubeless tyres. The weight difference is not essential, as most of the riding is pretty flat as I live in the Netherland. As my bike, 3T exploro Race is already pretty heavy, I don't want the wheels to be over 1,550g.
I would therefore like to hear your thoughts about performance / comfort / (crosswind) stability differences between these wheels?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers

Also asked this in Roval topic, sorry for any duplicate questions

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have LB WR50's with Carbon Ti, and Roval Rapides. Biggest difference by far is ththat Rovals handle better in crosswinds. Other than than, I don't notice anything else.
Factor Ostro

tjoerd

by tjoerd

Thanks Fruitfly!

Had some nasty experiences with crosswinds, both in the Netherlands where I live as in descents so was an important factor for me. The second hand set of Roval's looked really good, so decided to go for it.
Will write a small review here for any future decision makers.

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

tjoerd wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:36 am
Hi all,

I would like some advice on a new purchase and would also like some real world experiences, as it seems there are a lot of riders owning (one of) the wheels mentioned below!

I'm looking at the following options, all more or less the same price point:
  • A lightly used set of used Roval CL50's (6 months, 1000km).
    New set of Farsports Gravel (50mm deep / 30 wide) with DT Swiss 240
    New set of Light Bicycle WR50's with DT Swiss 240
The FS/LB are a bit lower in weight, while Roval is a reputable brand. As you can probably see I would like relatively wide rims for the use of 28mm tubeless tyres. The weight difference is not essential, as most of the riding is pretty flat as I live in the Netherland. As my bike, 3T exploro Race is already pretty heavy, I don't want the wheels to be over 1,550g.
I would therefore like to hear your thoughts about performance / comfort / (crosswind) stability differences between these wheels?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Cheers

Also asked this in Roval topic, sorry for any duplicate questions
We suggest you take Gravel 50/30 from Farsports https://www.wheelsfar.com/gravel-wheels ... p0061.html
Hubs and spokes are all branded, and Farsports has more than 10 years experience in making carbon rims.
Use the coupon FAR40WH.

andreas

by andreas

I strongly disagree on Roval CL50 being good sidewind handlers, in fact I sold mine for that specific reason.

The newer Roval Rapide CLX (51/64, and possibly the cheaper version that is only sold with complete bikes) is a completely different story though, from what I understand they are considered amongst the very best sidewind handlers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rwoofer

by rwoofer

I've not had any problems with my CL50s in sidewinds. I thought it was the CLX64s that were poor in sidewinds, although very efficient.