Any options in repairing a small tyre hole reliably?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

So I had what appears to be a small tyre puncture of around 1-2 mm in length on the thread of a road tubeless tyre (Schwalbe Pro One, which is supposed to have some puncture protection, and it seemed to work well for me for the first couple of thousand Ks - 4200kms to be exact).
Old sealant leaked out, some light thread is sticking out of the hole. I have installed a tyre worm, it does not work (does not stick and hold in place, is being pushed out by the pressure, also looks like tyre is bulging out in that spot once there is some pressure. New sealant with a worm in place was not able to seal it - leaked out again.
I had experience with glueless and glue patches with tubes previously - they almost always developped slow (or fast) air leaks despite the vigorous surface preparation and degreasing.
Any good reliable options? Was surprised to see a worm fail. It works just fine on my car. It was a small sized worm though, have not tried a bigger one yet... Just might work. I think that the sealant might prevent worm from working, so I am cleaning and drying the tyre at the moment.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

warthog101

by warthog101

Glued tube patches have worked reliably, without fail for me on tubes.
Always sand the surface and use the correct glue and no probs.
I have glued the inside of a tubeless tyre with a patch and glue, after a pinch flat down near the rim bed on a gravel tyre.
It has stuck but I haven't used it yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yingyu

by yingyu

Try Dynaplug. It has a metal tip that hooks the plug on the tire. I cut the excess with the supplied knife so that road friction doesn't pull out the plug.

I also wonder if your Pro One is worn too thin after 4200km?
Last edited by yingyu on Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

+1 to patch kit with glue, saved my Pro One couple times.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

musiclover

by musiclover

yingyu wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:54 am
Try Dynaplug. It has a metal tip that hooks the plug on the tire. I cut the excess with the supplied knife so that road friction doesn't pull out the plug.

Thanks for the recommendation about dynaplug, I may give it a go.
I was wondering the same, 4200 kms seems like a lot.

Dooes it look worn? The thread did not become visible on top yet... However, the puncture was just outside of the main worn area (but not on the sidewall).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rnfqqhktcj3ANY4r6
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

yingyu

by yingyu

musiclover wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:31 am
yingyu wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:54 am

Thanks for the recommendation about dynaplug, I may give it a go.
I was wondering the same, 4200 kms seems like a lot.

Dooes it look worn? The thread did not become visible on top yet... However, the puncture was just outside of the main worn area (but not on the sidewall).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rnfqqhktcj3ANY4r6
Maybe check the tire wear indicator (TWI).

https://pelotonmagazine.com/wp-content/ ... 8x1024.jpg
D3A2C6F8-62FA-4891-927B-180580D9FD8D.jpeg

Marin

by Marin

Sewing (done this a coupla times) works well for sidewalls, but probably not an option for the tread.

I'd try a patch on the inside with the best flexible glue I could find

Miller

by Miller

musiclover wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:11 am
I have installed a tyre worm, it does not work (does not stick and hold in place, is being pushed out by the pressure
When you inserted the worm, did you twist the tool around a few times before withdrawing it? This creates a knot in the worm inside the tyre which gives the worm more resistance to being pushed out by air pressure.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DynaPlug and don’t tug on it once it’s pushed in. If you do that, the tip will fall off and roll freely inside your rim…and also increase the risk of the plug being pushed out by air pressure. Contrary to your belief, sealant works in tandem with plugs. Generally after a day or so, Orange Seal sets enough that the DynaPlug is welded in pretty tight.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Miller wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 am
musiclover wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:11 am
I have installed a tyre worm, it does not work (does not stick and hold in place, is being pushed out by the pressure
When you inserted the worm, did you twist the tool around a few times before withdrawing it? This creates a knot in the worm inside the tyre which gives the worm more resistance to being pushed out by air pressure.

This still isn’t secure enough at higher pressures. I once tried switching to worms and after an hour, I heard a PSSSSHHH downstairs, discovering spattered sealant all over my floor and wall. I’m glad the puncture was pointed down, otherwise the mess would have been even worse.

bobones

by bobones

I gave up with worms too and I'm now firmly in the Dynaplug camp. For cases where a plug still leaks, weeps or you're just uncomfortable with a plug as a permanent fix, the tubeless patches from Velox and Hutchinson that you apply to the inside of the tyre work well enough. You just have to sand the tyre surface and apply two coats of solution, letting them dry almost fully before applying the patch. These patches are similar to normal patches but don't stretch or bulge under pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Inner liner like a tuffy and inner tube.

Those worms / plugs never worked for me.