any feedback with carbon spokes durability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

hello all,

my friend told me, the carbon spokes are not durable as the standard sapim spokes,

They explain on the head of each spoke where connect the hub, the glue combination to making the carbon spoke, during a while time, on this bottom of the spoke begins to separate with the effect of rust, where little by little it loses its structure and eventually begins to open.

Someone has this experience of this use over 12 months or more than 24 months or more than 3 years, it is still as new or you have to start looking and do continuous maintenance??

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Depends completely on the design of the spoke.

And carbon (or aluminium) does not rust. Galvanic corrosion is what you see.

And yes. I have had a wheelset with farsports carbon spokes for over 2 years. No problem, at all. Around 12.000 km on them I think (without looking it up).

But again, durability depends completely on the spoke design. I would suspect the spoke head and thread part to be the weakness spot of the spoke long term, but if durability issues will arise after 2 years or 10 is not possible to determine. The tech has not been around that long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

thanks for sharing your feedback. I see the carbon spokes are from the same manufacturer :

ST-10 see the picture

the most worry is here

I think the time will told us about the thread and the spoke bottom will suffer it

and 2 year with 12,000km it is great, you already prove the spokes are very good. Many riders worries as for LW, Corima or Mavic, is the afterservice if unlucky get some damage in the spokes and needs to repair. I think the replacement of the spokes are not easy, can't use the same way to adjust the spoke tension, it is true?