New deep wheelset advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frimez

by Frimez

Hey Guys,

To finish my Factor ostro vam (Soho mix color 8) ) bike I am looking for a wheelset of 50-60mm rim depth. At the moment I'm still hesitating between the winspace hyper 50 (1455g, stiff, 1000 euros) and lightly used ffwd ryot 55 (dt350, 1700g, Ultegra cassette and DA disc rotors included, 1000 euros). It is for use on mostly flat routes (bad condition in Belgium) and hills like the paterberg etc. My initial idea is to run 25mm tubeless tire on the front and 28 on the back. What would you guys recommend here? Any input is welcome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I've been looking at wheels myself (rim brake though) and while the Winspace Hyper's seem like a great value, they are narrow for a lot of tires - even 25mm tires. They are light and will climb and accelerate well, but it sounds like you want to run some wider tires and will be on flatter routes so I would think aero would trump weight for you in most all occasions (paterberg excluded). I think the disk brake versions of Hunt and Scribes carbon rims are wider, though they are a bit more expensive (their rim brake wheels are the same width as the Winspace).

I'm not sure I could stomach a 1700g wheelset, but on flat ground it may not be too noticeable - maybe a little slower to accelerate but they should hold speed well.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Hi Welcome, Farsports does a Kaze 58 with many hubs to choose from, example with CarbonTi’s: https://www.wheelsfar.com/kaze-disc-28m ... p0083.html

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Between the Hypers and the Ryots, my vote is firmly for the Ryots. Lower aero drag, especially with larger tires, and the DT350 hub. The weight difference is of no practical consequence.

So many options nowadays, but if you ride many Kms in all conditions then hub choice is an important factor, for me at least.

Edit: If aero drag really bothers you, then for the Ryots swap the DA rotors for some XTR - thinking of all those crosswinds you'll be riding in!

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Having ridden the Paterberg a number of times I'd prefer a 28mm tyre on the front and maybe a 30mm on the back!

With that in mind I'd get the WR45 or WR50's from Light Bicycle so that the tyres stay within the 105% rule.
The Winspace wheels are pretty narrow by modern standards and may have issues even with 25mm tyres of complying with the 105% rule.
Last edited by CampagYOLO on Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frimez

by Frimez

Thanks for the answers! Does the 105% rule have that much impact on aerodynamics?
Because I may also be looking to do some races with these wheels in the future.
Extra question: Is there much difference between Farsports and Light Bicycle? Both decent quality?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Jep both are great options, the 105% rule has been tested numerous times and is known to have the best aerodynamic performance

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Frimez wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm
Extra question: Is there much difference between Farsports and Light Bicycle? Both decent quality?
Both seem to have excellent reputations. From what I understand Farsports is the OEM rim for a lot of brands.

Aesch

by Aesch

You can buy the farsports 50mm high 24 internal width "gravel" rims. With dt240exp hubs delivered to Europe tax pre paid will be around 1000euro. You can even choose for 28h rear and/or sprints drive side (depending on your weight and power output) and brass nipples. That would be my choice. Perfect match for 28mm tyres.

Oh and this will weigh 1380-1440 grams depending on your config.

AJS914

by AJS914

Frimez wrote:
Thanks for the answers! Does the 105% rule have that much impact on aerodynamics?

105% rule: I think way too much is made of this. It is very marginal gains - like 1-2 watts. If you are in a peloton most of the time, it's not going to matter at all. If you are Ganna trying to win the TT world championships, then 2 watts here and there will be meaningful.

I have 15,000 miles on a set of Farsports wheels with DT Swiss 350S hubs. They still peform like new. The 350S hub IMO is the best bang for the buck for price/longevity and Farsports also has cheaper and more expensive options. My wheels have taken a few large pothole hits and survived. I can't see why anyone would pay $1000-2500 for wheels when you can get a set of Farsports starting at $600. A lifetime crash protection warranty might be the only reason I would buy big name wheels.

MasterBean

by MasterBean

Frimez wrote:Thanks for the answers! Does the 105% rule have that much impact on aerodynamics?
People on here get a hard on over this magical 105 number. It might be relevant if you're looking at optimising your bike on a 10 mile UK time trial but for general riding it makes no difference.

Obviously I will be shouted down as being an imbecile and knowing nothing which is probably true. Basically buy whichever wheels you like the look of.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Mocs123

by Mocs123

It's certainly true that it's irrelevant for most of us. My guess is despite what we (myself included) think, we couldn't tell the difference between any similar wheelsets. While I am currently wheelset shopping and in paralysis by analysis, the right answer for me is probably to just keep the current light carbon wheelset I have and save my money, but of course wheels are new, shiny, and they look cool (and fast).

Wheels are such a small part of our aerodynamic drag that all of us short of professional time trialists can probably save a lot more watts with other (free) changes to body position, technique, clothing, etc, however I will say that I am going to buy new wheels I want them to be as fast as they can be as they all look relatively the same.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Frimez wrote:
My own view is that wheel (including tire) aero drag is worth paying a bit of attention to, but is only worth obsessing over if you're racing. A wheelset that gives a 2% (total) power reduction [yes, higher speeds only] isn't reliably detectable by the rider, but that 2% over a long period of time adds up. Of course the aero difference between similar wheels+tires isn't usually 2% of total power.

105% is just a rule-of-thumb and has a small impact on overall drag, rarely more than a few watts.

yingyu

by yingyu

A deep front wheel with a tire too wide might catch crosswinds easily. This is how I tell if a rim's aero design is ruined.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

Aesch wrote:You can buy the farsports 50mm high 24 internal width "gravel" rims. With dt240exp hubs delivered to Europe tax pre paid will be around 1000euro. You can even choose for 28h rear and/or sprints drive side (depending on your weight and power output) and brass nipples. That would be my choice. Perfect match for 28mm tyres.

Oh and this will weigh 1380-1440 grams depending on your config.
Have you got a link to them?
I am after gravel wheels and they sound good. :)
I don't have a heap of money to spend