any brand sealant recommedations??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

for removing the tire, which one is better?? mucc off?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

In my experience...
orange Seal: is very good but dries out quick and doesn't excel at higher pressures. (65psi+)
Muc off: is great at MTB pressures only. Hopeless on high pressures as it's so thick.
Caffelatex: especially the updated version in the last few years- is the most effective for road and sealing TR sidewalls etc. I have also had great experience with it on my gravel and CX bikes. Lasts a good while if you dose it properly and keep it topped. when it dries its weight is negligible and is very cost effective. Plays well with tubs and other tubes too.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

extrusionedwin wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm
They are all easy, prob caffelatex easiest. I just rinse them out with a hose if swapping about. Just be careful not to wear any decent clobber when messing about with sealant...

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

extrusionedwin wrote:
I removed my tyres that had Muc-off sealant around two weeks ago, the whole process took around 15 mins which was removing both tyres, hosing down the rims then wiping clean, then doing the same with the tyres, very simple process in all honesty.

I haven't needed to do it with the Caffeelatex yet so only time will tell however I can't imagine it's going to be difficult. If you feel you need it, Effetto Mariposa also sell a specific latex sealant remover: https://www.effettomariposa.eu/collecti ... ex-remover.

I guess this comes to budget, some say Orange Seal is the best however it's over 2x the cost of Caffeelatex and I personally can't see how it's 2x better as I've had no issues with the Caffeelatex so far - it instantly sealed my tyres, only leaks 1 or 2 psi per week and I've had no flats.

Here's a review of most sealants mentioned in this thread that shows Caffeelatex is the best value and equally most effective on the market: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/whic ... -the-best/

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:42 pm
extrusionedwin wrote:
I removed my tyres that had Muc-off sealant around two weeks ago, the whole process took around 15 mins which was removing both tyres, hosing down the rims then wiping clean, then doing the same with the tyres, very simple process in all honesty.

I haven't needed to do it with the Caffeelatex yet so only time will tell however I can't imagine it's going to be difficult. If you feel you need it, Effetto Mariposa also sell a specific latex sealant remover: https://www.effettomariposa.eu/collecti ... ex-remover.

I guess this comes to budget, some say Orange Seal is the best however it's over 2x the cost of Caffeelatex and I personally can't see how it's 2x better as I've had no issues with the Caffeelatex so far - it instantly sealed my tyres, only leaks 1 or 2 psi per week and I've had no flats.

Here's a review of most sealants mentioned in this thread that shows Caffeelatex is the best value and equally most effective on the market: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/whic ... -the-best/

A sealant either seals a puncture or it doesn't. If Caffelatex fails to seal any number of punctures that Orange Seal handles with ease, then no price discount matters to me. Orange Seal is affordable enough. I've been using high pressure road tubeless for 6 years. In that time I've tried almost every sealant you can come up with. I've gone as far as pouring 50mL of each into Dixie cups to see how quickly they evaporate when exposed to air, how much solid material they leave behind and also other interactions like seepage through the wax/paper cup. In almost every metric, Orange Seal was exemplary while every other sealant had issues. Orange Seal's only weaknesses are it's more expensive and some sealants last longer. Thing is, Orange Seal also does such a good job of sealing up porous tires that there is some equalization after you top off a tire a couple months later. I also don't care how long a sealant stays liquid if all that liquid ends up in a puddle on the road.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:50 am
OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:42 pm
extrusionedwin wrote:

A sealant either seals a puncture or it doesn't. If Caffelatex fails to seal any number of punctures that Orange Seal handles with ease, then no price discount matters to me. Orange Seal is affordable enough. I've been using high pressure road tubeless for 6 years. In that time I've tried almost every sealant you can come up with. I've gone as far as pouring 50mL of each into Dixie cups to see how quickly they evaporate when exposed to air, how much solid material they leave behind and also other interactions like seepage through the wax/paper cup. In almost every metric, Orange Seal was exemplary while every other sealant had issues. Orange Seal's only weaknesses are it's more expensive and some sealants last longer. Thing is, Orange Seal also does such a good job of sealing up porous tires that there is some equalization after you top off a tire a couple months later. I also don't care how long a sealant stays liquid if all that liquid ends up in a puddle on the road.
That's exactly what I'm saying though, in my experience Caffeelatex has sealed every issue that I have had and is excellent at both sealing pourous tyres and retaining air pressure, I've dropped max 3psi in a week.

I could move over to Orange Seal however I could only hope it would perform as well as Caffeelatex as to me, it has been fautless. I would also be paying a 100% premium for doing this. You said it yourself, a weakness of Orange Seal is other sealants last longer so not only does it cost more initially, it needs to be topped up more frequently.

I also have a decent amount of experience with tubeless set-ups having first run it on my downhill bike in 2008, so have gone through a good amount of different valves, tapes, tyres and sealant options across all forms of bikes.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what others use, it's their choice and I hope whatever they do works well for them. The OP asked for user experience of sealants and we've both provided ours :)

As per my previous post, it probably comes down to budget. If the OP wants to pay the premium for Orange Seal then great, if not, in my experience Caffeelatex has been faultless and is half the cost.

abatty

by abatty

Also used Caffelatex for 5 years and would continue to stick with it for both 25mm and 28mm tyres. Had some winter wheels built recently with the new Conti 5000 S TR 25mm tyres and had problems with the wheelbuilder's own-brand latex sealant sealing flint punctures at 75psi. So replaced with Caffelatex and they've now sealed perfectly. And, yes, I've also made every tubeless mistake known to mankind and realise that running 25mm tyres is sometimes asking for trouble.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Will orange seal clog the tube type injector that goes down a presta valve?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

PoorCyclist wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:48 am
Will orange seal clog the tube type injector that goes down a presta valve?

The solids can clog the thin injector, but you can clear it by pulling back on the plunger. Also rinse the syringe immediately.