Triathlon rear disc wheel for road use

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Casio20

by Casio20

Hi dear Mates,

I've just seen the Roval321Disc and it looks amazing!

Do you think it makes any sense to buy a disc wheel for common cycling?
It should sound better, maybe makes ou feel better, just would like to know your opinion?
Especially as the weight is not much different to a deeper rear wheel.

Thanks a lot for your efforts and support

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

No.
They handle oddly in cross winds and they're generally a lot stiffer than spoked wheels.
Get one for racing. Use "normal" wheels for normal riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxPower

by MaxPower

and they get damaged a lot easier - replacing spokes in a disc with spokes (fx aerocoach or HED) can be impossible or tricky. Honeycomb type disc´s like Zipp or Farsports can easily be damaged by stone strike etc. i would go with a really deep rear, but >80mm feels odd i agree on a road bike. TT is very different because your weight is destributed very different. Here in my view disc´s make perfect sense. I live in Denmark... If you ever have seen the Tour of Denmark (PostNord rundt) it is very windy, almost always, and almost alway strong winds. on a TT with deep front wheel the disc makes sense as it feels to me that it balances the cross-wind push a lot better between front and back. on a road bike, not so much. It feels like the back wheel is pushed out under you, while the front is "stable".

Casio20

by Casio20

Thanks a lot for your support, I actually thought the sound of the disc could motivate with the swoosh swoosh sound, maybe it's just in my imagination 😊

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Casio20 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 am
Thanks a lot for your support, I actually thought the sound of the disc could motivate with the swoosh swoosh sound, maybe it's just in my imagination 😊
Spoked Disc´s make a lot less "swoosh-Swoosh" than honeycomb designs. bear that in mind :-D

Mocs123

by Mocs123

In my opinion if you show up to your group ride with a rear disk or a TT helmet you'd better be dang fast and pulling most of the way to avoid being made fun of. Disc wheels are for specialized uses and not for general riding.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Take it for a spin and see how you like it. I love the sound my deep wheels make. If something feels/sounds good and makes you want to ride more, then it’s worth it. Only concern I would have about riding it in a group is making sure you’re comfortable with the handling.

I ride 77mm wheels daily on my road bike, life is too short to save the good gear for race day. Even on days like today where the wind is around 20mph, takes a lil extra focus, but makes for a good workout, and when the wind is behind me, they fly!!

Casio20

by Casio20

Such a beautiful bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Casio20

by Casio20

Do you mean conventional spoked wheels and disc wheels with Honeycomb?