Farsports disc wheelset, actual weight 1015g RIDE REPORT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dcj10

by dcj10

OK, I know a few folks have mentioned they're interested to hear some ride feedback on this particular FSD25CM-27T-SUD wheelset.

Unless there are specific questions related to my ride report below, this thread can fall off the front page soon. Apologies to the forum - It didn't register there was an existing dedicated post, ideally meant to scoop up all the Farsports wheels topics, before starting a new one :oops:
Short ride impressions:

Recent reference points?
Bike: Aethos Expert 56cm, Ultegra Di2, 2021 model
Tyres: Veloflex Evo TLR 28c tubeless 45psi front / 50psi rear
Other recent wheelsets: Zipp 303 Firecrest and 404 Firecrest
Rider weight, 67kg, no prospect of a contract with a worldtour team (or any team) :|

Past wheels owned Carbonsports Lightweight tubular, Mavic Kysirium rim (remember them?) Hunt carbon 36 rim, Mavic GP4, Wheelsmith Velocity A23 rim etc etc

Out of the box
Arrived in a single box, well packaged. No pings at all on a quick installation check-ride round the block. No delicate 'bedding-in' feeling you can get with new wheels. They were true, evenly tensioned so far as I can tell, and the bearings were smooth. The initial tyre install was mostly routine, except I used a different valve than supplied on the rear wheel.

The wheels don't come with installed (or any) base tape in the box, or disc lock rings, both of which were supplied on my Zipp wheels.
Just something to be reminded of, when you order. I forgot, so there was a delay, while I equipped my 'Service Course' with these items :wink:

How do they ride?
First impression is that the Farsports are noticeably plusher to the point that within a mile I wondered if I had an already deflating rear tyre (I didn't). I'm comparing this to the Zipp 303 at the same tyre pressure, on the same stretch of road. The Zipp feels firmer and more robust when not under much load, as you'd expect with a deeper rim, but actually the Farsports don't feel any less stiff when doing the important things, like riding out of the saddle on a hill, for example.

Other comparisons
The Farsports wheelset is more than 20% lighter (1015g actual weight) so its probably no big surprise they feel more instantly 'zippy' - than the Zipp 303, and substantially more so than the 404. The 404 does hold onto noticeable speed on the flat sometimes. Maybe 2 or 3 times per ride I can subjectively feel the difference the 404 makes, and its a lovely feeling when it happens. Obviously the 404s must lose time somewhere because......

...Thoughts on average speed comparisons
My average speed riding solo, and previously alternating between a 2019 Trek Madone and the Aethos since September don't vary enough to say conclusively that one set of wheels or bike is faster or slower for me. That's just how it is. It was disappointing to accept, and why the Trek Madone is now sold. I might average just over 19mph if I'm 'on it' and the weather and wind is favourable. My gut-feel is the Farsports won't prove to be any slower on average speed, due to the type of roads I use, the eagerness they have on any climb, and my fitness profile.

Limitations of my feedback?
Gloves, thick tights and overshoes and greasy roads meant the chances to explore characteristics under load were fleeting today.

Sorry, not to be able to test either for how the wheelset presents itself into and through fast downhill corners, as the roads were just too greasy to try it.

Freehub noise
Freewheel noise is marginally less aggressive compared to the Zipp hubs.
Actually, I'm a big fan of Zipp-style noisy freehubs, they're better for alerting people walking in the road, with their back to me, like today.

Other random thoughts
70% UD finish is pleasing and I'm glad I ticked the no-cost option. In fact, overall finish quality is 5/5.

If I'm down to ride a sportive where there are likely to be large rider groups forming, I'd still take the Zipps 404s. Once groups start to be propelled beyond 21-22mph by riders stronger than me, the 404s start to save noticeable energy. The 303 Firecrests handle more sweetly than the 404s though, so I've been using them more often on solo rides. I can already tell the 303s have a more robust and firm ride than the Farsports. As a 'not very powerful' rider, I don't really benefit from this extra firmness most of the time, but you might miss that feeling, if it wasn't there. So this write-up is not a review of the wheels themselves, as such, just a story about my interaction with them.

My overall first impressions
My main takeout from today: this particular Farsport feels like a wheelset for people who like to climb 'lightly', spinning low gears loosely out of the saddle - more like Contador than say, Wout Van Aert (I can dream). The bike flicks from side to side and subjectively feels eager more of the time on today's climbs. I'm looking forward to warm dry days to get more of this sensation on the bike.

There's no hint of a complaint from the wheels over broken road surfaces, and I really did consciously take them over the worst surfaces I could find today, because if they feel good on my frost damaged roads, I am more confident to say they must be a well-executed product.

No hint - so far- that these are - or might be considered - unusually fragile or delicate wheels. Taking into account they only have 21 spokes, this would be quite a remarkable outcome as far as I'm concerned, if this remains the case over time.
I'm making no allowances that these wheels are not much more than half the price of the other wheels I'm comparing them to.

Why did I choose these particular wheels?
So I'm hoping they'll become my go-to wheelset of choice for solo rides on sunny summer days. They've got all of the comfort and 'light-out-of-the-saddle' feeling for climbing, that I really wanted them for. There are dozens of little hills in my part of the UK.

If you managed to get this far down the page, thankyou, and I hope this write up is worth the time you've taken to read it.
End of text
Last edited by dcj10 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

dcj10

by dcj10

refthimos wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 am
I wanted a little more aero so went with the 35mm depth - 1099g for my wheelset (Ultralight Feder wheels (FSD35CM-27T-SUD) | Hookless | 35mm depth | 28mm outer width | 22mm inner widt | FAR230 hubs with standard bearings | Shimano freehub | Sapim CX-Super spokes)

Notes and photos here: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=156164&start=1140#p1722692
:thumbup: I saw that, thx for posting
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

Hi
Thanks for the review.
I was worried they would be flimsy and flexible.
This will be my first lightweight disc wheel set and not be tubular like my rim brake bikes.
JB

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Sounds like the perfect companion to a bike like Aethos. Wonder if 24 Super spokes on Carbon Ti hubs will give you a more robust ride feel. Thanks for the write up.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Enjoyed the write up, thanks! Also like my Feders, they continue to surprise me by presenting exactly zero issues to date.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Thanks for this. tempted to try out an ultralight Feder wheel. Possibly something a bit more aero/deep vs the 33mm deep Alpinist CLX currently on the Aethos. Curious to see what others have tried.

Here’s what Farsports proposed so far. I run Tubolito tubes.

FSD35CM-26T-SUD, tubeless ready disc rim, 35mm/45mm f/r 26 external width, 19mm internal width, with spoke holes in the rim bed, 24/24h, UD matte rim finish, no logo.
---Hubs: DT240EXP straight pull, central lock, 24/24h Through axle, axle size: 12*100/12*142mm , Shimano 11s free hub body, black.
---Spokes: Sapim cx-ray black.
---Nipples: Sapim sill alloy black.
---Weight: 1270g+_30g

I might go 45mm deep up front.

Generally, I’d like the wheels to be 1) relatively durable and also good for some occasional 1400w sprints, 2) more aero and similar weight to Alpinist CLx. This is asking a lot. Even lighter would be a bonus, but would be at the cost of 1).

If I go with their Extralite Cyber hubs, weight will be ~1200g for 45/45 deep f/r, which is great on paper. I don’t have any experience with Extralite vs 240exp. Any input greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

Turrifik wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:50 pm
Thanks for this. tempted to try out an ultralight Feder wheel. Possibly something a bit more aero/deep vs the 33mm deep Alpinist CLX currently on the Aethos. Curious to see what others have tried.

Here’s what Farsports proposed so far. I run Tubolito tubes.

FSD35CM-26T-SUD, tubeless ready disc rim, 35mm/45mm f/r 26 external width, 19mm internal width, with spoke holes in the rim bed, 24/24h, UD matte rim finish, no logo.
---Hubs: DT240EXP straight pull, central lock, 24/24h Through axle, axle size: 12*100/12*142mm , Shimano 11s free hub body, black.
---Spokes: Sapim cx-ray black.
---Nipples: Sapim sill alloy black.
---Weight: 1270g+_30g

I might go 45mm deep up front.
I have two sets of Farsports wheels for my Aethos, the lightweight Feder FD-35CM-28T-SUD with DT240EXP hub, weight 1280g, and the Gravel FS50/30G hookless, weight 1380g. Despite the slight extra weight increase, I prefer the gravel set. With the Extralite hubs, you could get the 50mm deep gravel wheels down to 1290g.

The DT240EXP hubs are solid, run very smooth, and the ratchet is pretty quiet. Replacement parts and bearings for the DT240EXP hubs are easily sourced and relatively cheap. I run these hubs with my other wheelsets, so no adjustments are needed for the discs or cassette between wheelswaps. I have no experience with the Extralight hubs that I can offer though.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

I ended up ordering a pair of Feder wheels and received them in about 4weeks. I went with 45/28 clinchers with their RD hubs. Was nicely surprised to see that they weighed in at 1198g, less than advertised. No issues to report other than they forgot to provide spoke holes. As a courtesy, they included a little magnet which will be fun down the road if I break a spoke.

I might sell my Alpinist wheels if these perform well since the Feders are deeper and lighter.
For the RD hub’s exposed bearings, what are folks doing for maintenance or getting replacement parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Turrifik on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Bearing at front wheel.

tiz92

by tiz92

Use them just on race days :D

dcj10

by dcj10

Turrifik wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:21 pm

For the RD hub’s exposed bearings, what are folks doing for maintenance or getting replacement parts?
The F230 hubs are made in Taiwan and use 6902 bearings according to the spec. 6902 bearings are listed readily on websites I tend to use as my go-to for service parts.
Alternatively, if you'd like some feedback on maintaining the hubs, you might get a better response re-posting your question on the main Farsports thread here? https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... t=156164

dcj10

by dcj10

Here's a brief mid to long term update on these wheels, after one summer season of rides.
Although I've got access to Zipp 303 and 404 wheelsets I haven't ridden either of those sets since installing the Farsports.

I almost always ride solo, usually around 30 miles on slightly hilly and poorly surfaced back roads.

This summer I had my best rides ever on the Aethos, on these wheels.
Normally, when I'm fit I manage to squeeze out a few 19mph average rides on the Garmin.
Usually by mid-season.

In 2022, for the first time since I was racing back in 1994, I hit 20+ mph average speed on several consecutive hilly rides, on the Farsports wheelset.
OK, I can't prove it's only down to the wheels because I changed my jersey and helmet.

However, I was still riding my old jersey when I jumped up to 19.8 mph for the first time.
This was the point I started to realise the wheelset was a step up, compared to buying an aero bike (which I ended up selling to get the Aethos).

The wheelset just feels nicer handling and noticeably zippier than the deeper section wheelsets.
Durability wise, I don't feel any difference or extra fragility compared to the Zipps so far. I know they should be more delicate but so far they're ok.

If I were down to ride a sportive drafting in large groups travelling in the mid 20s mph or 40+ kmh, then I would take the 404s.
But for just fun solo rides, the Farsports are my go to best wheels in the Aethos.

One thing to be careful of in my opinion is if you get the wheels, order enough rim tape to do 2 or 3 layers. With even 2 layers I found the tyre fit to be quite loose with 28C Veloflex tubeless tyres. Obviously this is just my experience.

X5SAE

by X5SAE

Thanks for your detailed and long time review :thumbup:

My experience with my two Farsports wheelsets (both hookless, one Feder dt240exp and one gravel rd230) has been similarly great. Cause you said you were getting a loose fit with your Veloflex tires I wanted to elaborate on my tire fit experience...

Both rims are no-hole versions.

Feder:
With both Specalized tubeless and Conti GP5000S TR I was getting a tight fit / perfect seal. I could even use them without sealant if I wanted to.

Gravel 36/32 asymmetric:
Perfect fit with Tufo Gravel Thundero 44mm, holding pressures over several days without sealant.

So probably your tires aren't of the best manufacturing tolerance. :noidea:
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

dcj10

by dcj10

X5SAE wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 am
Thanks for your detailed and long time review :thumbup:

My experience with my two Farsports wheelsets (both hookless, one Feder dt240exp and one gravel rd230) has been similarly great. Cause you said you were getting a loose fit with your Veloflex tires I wanted to elaborate on my tire fit experience...

Both rims are no-hole versions.

Feder:
With both Specalized tubeless and Conti GP5000S TR I was getting a tight fit / perfect seal. I could even use them without sealant if I wanted to.

Gravel 36/32 asymmetric:
Perfect fit with Tufo Gravel Thundero 44mm, holding pressures over several days without sealant.

So probably your tires aren't of the best manufacturing tolerance. :noidea:
Thanks a lot, that is useful feedback X5SAE.

Veloflex are my current go to tyre for aethetics, speed and suppleness BUT to have other feedback on these wheels does allow for better context to my observations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polpy

by polpy

I was running Veloflex Evo TLR in 28 on my hooked Feder and had no issues. It was a snug fit, but no problems with mounting/dismounting.