Opinions on which 50mm disc wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Archie100

by Archie100

Hi, I was looking for some advice on which of these 50mm wheelsets to go for on a new S-works Tarmac SL6 that I have just built. I have a 30% discount that I can use towards one of these 3 wheelsets below in my LBS. I cannot avail of the same discount in my Specialized store so that has ruled out Roval Rapide CLX (as well as my plan to run the new wheels tubeless). I’ve ruled out Farsport, LB, Winspace Hyper wheels given the discount I have brings me close to the price of similar spec wheels from these without the same type of warranty offered by Bontrager, DT Swiss and Vision.
I’m planning to use 25mm Conti GP 5000 S TR tyres front and 28mm on rear (and maybe even 28mm front/rear since the roads around me are quite rough). I don’t race so I’m not too worried about any watts lost running 28mm tyres front/rear.
I have a 2019 Trek Emonda SLR disc as a second bike so I’m leaning towards the Bontrager RSL 51 wheels that should also be a nice match to the Emonda. Both Tarmac and Emonda are gloss paint so the RSL 51 wheels should look well on both.
I know it’s very unlikely anyone has run all 3 wheelsets below and can give real world comparison between them but it would still be nice to get peoples opinion on whether the Vision Metron 45 SL or DT Swiss Arc 1100 would be a better buy. Thanks.

Bontrager RSL 51
1424 grams
23mm internal
31mm external
DT Swiss 240 EXP hub (36-point engagement)
DT Aerolite II spokes (external nipples)
Lifetime warranty (+ Bontrager Carbon Care which offers free replacement for damage in first 2yrs)

DT Swiss Arc 1100 50mm
1472 grams
20mm internal
26.5mm external
DT Swiss DICUT 180 hub (36-point engagement)
DT Aerolite II spokes and Aero Comp II (internal nipples)
Lifetime warranty for material and workmanship defects + Fair-Share Policy (replace the broken rim within the first 10 years after the date of purchase as part of our Fair-Share-Policy, for a service fee of EUR 749 / USD 749)

Vision Metron 45 SL
1373 grams
21mm internal
31mm external
Vision Power Ratchet hub (72 tooth ratio)
Lifetime warranty (materials or workmanship) + Lifetime crash replacement (discounted replacement product in the event of non-warranty damage, 30% off the local retail price )

Aesch

by Aesch

Archie100 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:48 pm
Hi, I was looking for some advice on which of these 50mm wheelsets to go for on a new S-works Tarmac SL6 that I have just built. I have a 30% discount that I can use towards one of these 3 wheelsets below in my LBS. I cannot avail of the same discount in my Specialized store so that has ruled out Roval Rapide CLX (as well as my plan to run the new wheels tubeless). I’ve ruled out Farsport, LB, Winspace Hyper wheels given the discount I have brings me close to the price of similar spec wheels from these without the same type of warranty offered by Bontrager, DT Swiss and Vision.
I’m planning to use 25mm Conti GP 5000 S TR tyres front and 28mm on rear (and maybe even 28mm front/rear since the roads around me are quite rough). I don’t race so I’m not too worried about any watts lost running 28mm tyres front/rear.
I have a 2019 Trek Emonda SLR disc as a second bike so I’m leaning towards the Bontrager RSL 51 wheels that should also be a nice match to the Emonda. Both Tarmac and Emonda are gloss paint so the RSL 51 wheels should look well on both.
I know it’s very unlikely anyone has run all 3 wheelsets below and can give real world comparison between them but it would still be nice to get peoples opinion on whether the Vision Metron 45 SL or DT Swiss Arc 1100 would be a better buy. Thanks.

Bontrager RSL 51
1424 grams
23mm internal
31mm external
DT Swiss 240 EXP hub (36-point engagement)
DT Aerolite II spokes (external nipples)
Lifetime warranty (+ Bontrager Carbon Care which offers free replacement for damage in first 2yrs)

DT Swiss Arc 1100 50mm
1472 grams
20mm internal
26.5mm external
DT Swiss DICUT 180 hub (36-point engagement)
DT Aerolite II spokes and Aero Comp II (internal nipples)
Lifetime warranty for material and workmanship defects + Fair-Share Policy (replace the broken rim within the first 10 years after the date of purchase as part of our Fair-Share-Policy, for a service fee of EUR 749 / USD 749)

Vision Metron 45 SL
1373 grams
21mm internal
31mm external
Vision Power Ratchet hub (72 tooth ratio)
Lifetime warranty (materials or workmanship) + Lifetime crash replacement (discounted replacement product in the event of non-warranty damage, 30% off the local retail price )
The bontrager set would be my choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Archie100

by Archie100

Thanks for the reply Aesch.
I had settled for the Bontrager RSL 51 wheels as well and almost had a set bought when I found that my local Specialized store also accepted the 30% discount that I had to use so I've forgone the option of running tubeless and I'm collecting set of Roval Rapides tomorrow. Lookking forward to getting these to finish off my Tarmac SL6 build.

Aesch

by Aesch

Archie100 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:51 pm
I had settled for the Bontrager RSL 51 wheels as well and almost had a set bought when I found that my local Specialized store also accepted the 30% discount that I had to use so I've forgone the option of running tubeless and I'm collecting set of Roval Rapides tomorrow. Lookking forward to getting these to finish off my Tarmac SL6 build.
Ah that makes sense, cool :thumbup:

Stueys

by Stueys

Archie100 wrote:
Out of interest why did you ditch the Bontrager to go Rovale?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

My guess is to match his Specialized bike.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Archie100

by Archie100

Stueys wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm
Archie100 wrote:
I had intended selling my Emonda SLR and using the new Tarmac SL6 as my only bike but I've changed my mind on that in recent days and decided to keep both. I already have tubeless set-up with 35mm carbon rims on my Emonda so I plan to continue using that bike for wet weather days and keep the Tarmac for better dry days out which on the downside means I'll be using it much less than I intended. Even though the Bontrager RSL 51 wheels look great, I think the Roval Rapides are a nicer fit for the Tarmac and I don't mind so much now that I can't run tubeless. I plan to run them with 28mm Turbo Cottons and latex tubes and switch to Conti 5000 Clinchers with latex if I get too many punctures around my rough local roads. The fact that I could also use a 30% discount with local Specialized dealer was also a deciding factor - if that hadn't been possible, I'd be picking up RSL 51s tomorrow and not the Rapides.

Stueys

by Stueys

Archie100 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 pm
Stueys wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm
Archie100 wrote:
I had intended selling my Emonda SLR and using the new Tarmac SL6 as my only bike but I've changed my mind on that in recent days and decided to keep both. I already have tubeless set-up with 35mm carbon rims on my Emonda so I plan to continue using that bike for wet weather days and keep the Tarmac for better dry days out which on the downside means I'll be using it much less than I intended. Even though the Bontrager RSL 51 wheels look great, I think the Roval Rapides are a nicer fit for the Tarmac and I don't mind so much now that I can't run tubeless. I plan to run them with 28mm Turbo Cottons and latex tubes and switch to Conti 5000 Clinchers with latex if I get too many punctures around my rough local roads. The fact that I could also use a 30% discount with local Specialized dealer was also a deciding factor - if that hadn't been possible, I'd be picking up RSL 51s tomorrow and not the Rapides.
Thanks, I'm trying to decide between the two (plus DT Swiss ARC) and was interested. Think I was verring Bontrager

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com