Hookless compatible tubeless tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seinberg

by seinberg

What are your favorite hookless compatible tubeless tires? I fit a set of Zipp 454 NSWs with Schwalbe Pro One TLE but had to get size 30 because it was the only size in stock at the time. I'm looking to switch to 25s which the 454s were designed for. The main two options I know of that will work are the Pro One TLE and the new GP5000s, but you have to go 28 or larger with the 5k and 454s. What else should I be considering? I'm Keen to have something fast but with reasonable puncture protection - roughly on par with the Contis or Schwalbe.
2021 SW Tarmac SL7
2022 SW Aethos
2023 ENVE Mog w/SRAM Red XPLR & 353 NSW
2023 Riese & Muller Supercharger Rohloff HS (aka the tank)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Veloflex Corsa's are compatible with hookless rims:

https://www.veloflex.it/en/FAQ/are-your ... less-rims/

Elmersen

by Elmersen

But only with really narrow rims? Seems like they have not updated it to the newest E.T.R.T.O. standard?

https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/ro ... s-coupling

seinberg

by seinberg

Elmersen wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:57 pm
But only with really narrow rims? Seems like they have not updated it to the newest E.T.R.T.O. standard?

https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/ro ... s-coupling
Yeah, this seems to be the same for the new Contis. Only Schwalbe seem to be compatible with the 454s at 25mm...
2021 SW Tarmac SL7
2022 SW Aethos

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

It may be worth using the Cadex hookless compatibility chart although maybe take with a pinch of salt as the Cadex rims will probbaly differ slightly to the Zipp ones:

https://www.cadex-cycling.com/gb/hookle ... technology

A number of 25mm options available, most of them predictably are Giant tyres!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I would not dare use Veloflex Corsas on hookless rims no matter what they claim. They stretched so much on my hooked rims, I could take the tires off my rim with the slightest effort.

seinberg

by seinberg

I ended up finding a set of 25c Schwalbe Pro One TLE in stock at Summit Bicycles so just bought them. Looked like their last pair so hopefully the stock count was right 🤞 I'm familiar with these and like them already so it's an easy option.
2021 SW Tarmac SL7
2022 SW Aethos

seinberg

by seinberg

seinberg wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:31 pm
I ended up finding a set of 25c Schwalbe Pro One TLE in stock at Summit Bicycles so just bought them. Looked like their last pair so hopefully the stock count was right 🤞 I'm familiar with these and like them already so it's an easy option.
Aaaaaand they emailed me to tell me their stock count was wrong and it's not actually in stock 😭
2021 SW Tarmac SL7
2022 SW Aethos

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My friend has used Enve tires on Enve foundation hookless wheels without a single issue.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

DaveS

by DaveS

I'm using Pirelli p zero 30mm tires with 23mm internal width hookless 303s wheels.

seinberg

by seinberg

Thanks -- the relevant one is the SRAM/Zipp one, but it annoyingly doesn't give details on specific tire types and sizes that are compatible. The only manufacturer I've been able to find that says their 25c or 26c tires are hookless compatible are Schwalbe, which seems fine and what I'm going with, but it would be really nice to have more options. The 2022 Zipp 454 NSWs I'm running perform best (aero-wise) with 25c tires. Maybe the Goodyear Eagle F1s, but they seem worse than the Schwalbe in every way.
2021 SW Tarmac SL7
2022 SW Aethos

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SRAM doesn't have a list of incompatible tires. If a tire is hookless compatible and the min sidewall pressure listed is under 72.5psi, then they are confident it will work. Also heed tire brand warnings. Don't put a 25mm tire on a 23mm wide rim if the tire brand says not to.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Does anyone know, beyond what's been publicly stated, why 25c is often not approved for hookless use on wider ID (23ID for example)? Is it purely that most riders will be close to or indeed over the maximum ETRTO pressure of 72.5psi using that width of tyre? Therefore would that mean smaller riders running pressures much lower (60 for example) would be safe? Or is there another issue I'm missing? Will always be an element of 'at your own risk' but the pressure side of the equation seems fairly straightforward.

RyanW has mentioned putting 25c Conti's on multiple sets of hookless Zipps, which sparked these thoughts.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

AggressiveBears

by AggressiveBears

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:34 pm
Does anyone know, beyond what's been publicly stated, why 25c is often not approved for hookless use on wider ID (23ID for example)? Is it purely that most riders will be close to or indeed over the maximum ETRTO pressure of 72.5psi using that width of tyre? Therefore would that mean smaller riders running pressures much lower (60 for example) would be safe? Or is there another issue I'm missing? Will always be an element of 'at your own risk' but the pressure side of the equation seems fairly straightforward.

RyanW has mentioned putting 25c Conti's on multiple sets of hookless Zipps, which sparked these thoughts.
That is probably the reason. Zipp says I should use 28s at my weight. Their pressure calculator gives me JUST enough room to use 28s in dry conditions. Assuming you don't mind riding much lower (wet condition) pressures, it's probably less of an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com