Farsport wheel advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Hi, I keep changing my mind between hunt 48limitless and ordering a set from farsport, I am more leaning to the farsports as I can spec the rim I want but have a discount code for hunt so they would probably be a couple hundred £ cheaper and easy to deal with any issues.
I just wondered if there was any feedback on the gravel 50/30 rims regarding stability and speed?
I'd like to go hookless and have the no hole rims so it'd be nice and easy running tubeless. Looking at DT240 hubs, I weigh 90kg and can't decide whether to go for 24 or 28 spokes on the back, do you think 28 would be better?
Thanks

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Been going through all the options and I thought the website looked different, turns out originally I was looking at lightbicycle wheels not farsport🤦🏼‍♂️
I have ruled out the hunts now but got to decide on these, think I missed the black Friday deal, do you think either will run anymore discounts around Christmas and new year?
Lightbicycle don't seem to offer a 28spoke rear so id have to go 24 with sprint on the drive side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

I don't think LB will run any more discounts since they had the 10 year anniversary coincide with black Friday and a good promo going.

You do mention a rim that farsports offers and not LB, which are you looking for?

I would recommend going for 28 spoke front and rear so maybe order the rims you want and have them built locally? Go for the gravel 50 high 30 wide hooked if it fits your frame. Matches nicely with 28mm tyres.

If you want to order direct you can inquire by mail, they will have some 28h front and rear hub sets once in a while at LB and farsports.

Finally, farsports will give you a discount if you just ask.

I own several wheelsets, both from LB and farsports and I prefer 28 front and rear sets for both rim and disc @ my own 94kg system weight for road, gravel, etc.
If you must go for 24fr and rear choosing sprints on the drive side will improve the power transfer. I have one set built like this, it took some work to correct spoke tensions but afterwards they're OK, but I prefer the 28+28.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

At 90kg definitely 28 spokes - you'll be glad you did. I have sets from both companies in 24 and 28 and the 28 are more solid - I weigh 76kg. You can contact either of these companies and make a special request for exactly what you want. It may take a bit longer if they don't have 28 hole hubs on hand but they probably do. They will send you a separate link to handle the billing and start production.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:38 am
At 90kg definitely 28 spokes - you'll be glad you did. I have sets from both companies in 24 and 28 and the 28 are more solid - I weigh 76kg. You can contact either of these companies and make a special request for exactly what you want. It may take a bit longer if they don't have 28 hole hubs on hand but they probably do. They will send you a separate link to handle the billing and start production.
Thanks I will pick my rim choices from each and send them an email to see what they can offer.
Does this sound a good set up
DT240 hubs, 50-60mm deep, around 30mm wide hookless, and set up tubular to run 28mm tyres, is there any downsides to having the no hole rims other than fitting spokes? As I like the idea of this and if I get a solid set built they shouldn't need much maintenance. Looking for something fairly fast and stiff stiff but comfortable on the road

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think you mean tubeless. No hole rim bed is definitely the way to go. Not having to deal with tape is so nice. If you break a spoke, then yeah, a magnet will be needed to get the nipples into place - a hassle but doable.

As for spokes, if you go all the way to 60mm deep rims, perhaps 24 spokes, but all of a heavier guage such as Sprints makes sense. The wheel builders here can give you better advice on that specific issue than I. But indeed for shallower rims, 28 spokes would be desireable.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Thanks for the feedback, if I go 28spokes do you think I'd be ok with cx rays? Or should I still aim for sprints on the drive side?
My one last question to anyone, is hookless worthwhile? I can see and understand the benefits but I'd be pushing on close to the psi limit around 70 and concerned about the safety. I'd probably run schwalbe pro ones 28mm

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

I just received a set of "Custom" Farsports clincher wheels, 24/20 spoke, 38mm depth, 23mm external width, Bitex hubs, matte UD finish, ti skewers and Sapim CX rays. They're very nice, price was terrific--less than $700 USD shipped. Took about a month or so from initial order to receiving, not bad at all. Great customer service during the order process, as I had several questions that weren't easily searched online or on website. Am hoping they roll and feel overall as nicely as they initially appear.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Another thing I'm struggling with on the lightbicycle site is the AR55 and AR56, the 56s seem lighter cheaper and wider so what is the benefit to the 55s other than the extended warranty?
D044CF11-67A2-4854-A80D-A98349580402.png

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I know it looks like the AR55's are heavier, but I'm not sure that's the case in all configurations. I know the AR55's can come in as low as 1333g.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Mocs123 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:17 am
I know it looks like the AR55's are heavier, but I'm not sure that's the case in all configurations. I know the AR55's can come in as low as 1333g.
Just had a look at the same spec and they come in 50grams heavier and about 180 dollars more. All I can think is maybe they have a different layup that uses more material which offers more strength hence the weight and extra warranty.
The weights is neither here nor there for me but do you think a 28mm tyre would sit better on the AR56 with a 23/30 width vs the AR55's 21/28

Aesch

by Aesch

Yes, my corsa controls 28mm are 29.5mm measured on a 21 internal rim. I believe the new gp 5000 tr run slightly more true to size but will still slightly oversize on wide internal rims. So 28mm label might be 29mm measured on a 23 internal rim. Perfect for max aero on 30mm external rim (either the farsports gravel 50mm or the LB ar56).

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Main difference between AR55 and AR56 is the shape of the rim. The AR56 is a more old fashioned V shape whereas the AR55 is U shaped (and also 30mm wide at their widest point if you look at the profile diagram). The AR55 is also available as a flyweight option which saves 40-50g per rim but comes with a rider weight limit of 90kg.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The U shape is supposed to be better in crosswinds from what I hear. I'm not sure which profile is faster.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Well Santa has been good to me and I'm waiting to place an order. I just can't deceive between the AR56 or AR55, i will be running 28mm tyres is one run rim better suited to these? AR56 is 23/30 wide whereas the 55's are 21/28 but then bow out to 30mm.
I am leaning towards the AR55 as it's a more U shaped rim so should be better to handle as it is usually fairly windy around here.
Will get these laced to DT240 😃

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com