Farsport wheel advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

In my opinion if this is going to be your every day wheelset and be running strictly 28mm tires I would choose the AR56, BUT with the 28mm external (instead of 30), or even better go with the newer AR55.

I have the AR46 (21/28) and run 25mm tires that measure 26.8mm when I want the most aero wheels. They are great, but I cannot shake the feeling of striking the rim, and I’m always worrying.

When I’m not racing I switch to 28mm tires and they are almost flush with the rim and looks a LOT better. Not longer worrying about destroying them.

Probably won’t happen, but just the feeling is always there when I run 25’s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

CoffeeNdonuts wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:27 am
In my opinion if this is going to be your every day wheelset and be running strictly 28mm tires I would choose the AR56, BUT with the 28mm external (instead of 30), or even better go with the newer AR55.

I have the AR46 (21/28) and run 25mm tires that measure 26.8mm when I want the most aero wheels. They are great, but I cannot shake the feeling of striking the rim, and I’m always worrying.

When I’m not racing I switch to 28mm tires and they are almost flush with the rim and looks a LOT better. Not longer worrying about destroying them.

Probably won’t happen, but just the feeling is always there when I run 25’s.
Thanks for your feedback, that is part of my concern as these will be my do it all wheel so want to minimise the risk of damaging them

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Then just use tire that deflate to flat shape rather than pointy shape.

When flat, Schwalbe turn pointy and don't protect the rim. However, when flat, Vittoria become a very wide flat stripe that is way wider than the rim. It cover the whole rim edge nicely. Actually, it became so wide that it can rub side of the chainstay or fork on some bikes.

btw: gp5000 28c on 23mm internal width (AR56 30mm wide) already measure 30.15mm inflated. It already cover the rim. It only make sense to go narrower if you plan to use 25c. But even then, gp5000 25c on AR56 measure 28.11mm, leaving less than 1mm of exposed rim each side.

I like WR rim (32mm wide) more when using 28c tire. To keep rim wider than the tire.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

What rim style do you think would handle crosswinds better with a 28mm tyre AR56 23/30 or the AR55 21/28? I'm not to bothered about maximum aero would focus on stability more. I know the U rim shape should be better on the AR but the tyre would over hang the rim more compared to the wider AR56, so which do you think would be more stable V shape with a closer matching tyre or U shaped with a bigger bulge on the tyre?
Or do I get the farsports 24/30 50deep these seem to be a fair bit cheaper and they have 28h rear hubs in stock. Which I think I'd prefer really at my 90kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think the general consensus is that with 28mm tires the wider rim will provide more stability. But at your weight I doubt either will be a problem for you.

Speaking of your weight, as I mentioned earlier, go with 28 spokes, at least for the rear - the wheelset will feel noticeably more solid and is likely to provide more trouble free miles.

The 24/30 50deep that you mention would be my choice of the lot in your situation. You could run a 28mm on the front and 30mm rear assuming clearance for those sizes - that's what I do on 25/32 rims.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Aesch

by Aesch

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:21 pm
I think the general consensus is that with 28mm tires the wider rim will provide more stability. But at your weight I doubt either will be a problem for you.

Speaking of your weight, as I mentioned earlier, go with 28 spokes, at least for the rear - the wheelset will feel noticeably more solid and is likely to provide more trouble free miles.

The 24/30 50deep that you mention would be my choice of the lot in your situation. You could run a 28mm on the front and 30mm rear assuming clearance for those sizes - that's what I do on 25/32 rims.
Second that, fully agree.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:21 pm

Thanks all I'm going to place my order for the farsports 50/30.
I think I would've preferred the lightbicycle WR50 as it should have kept me within the 105% rule but seeing as I would have to settle for 24spokes on the rear and with shipping they would be about £150 more it seems a no brainer to get the farsports especially as they come in about 100g lighter too