Extralite SP Rear Hub not usable in low-temp???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

I took out my brand new wheelset with Extralite SP hubs this afternoon with temperature hovering around 5C or so. 10 mi into the ride and when I was riding under for a few miles under tree covers, the freewheel engagement started to skip under high torque. Quite concerning as I was riding on underludating public road. Then the problem went away after I rode under the sun for a bit. Strange...

Couldn't investigate more as the ride was cut short by a pinch flat. But did some digging after I got home, apparently the pawls on the rear hub are sprung by rubber o-ring instead of metal springs like in most other designs. Weight saving I suppose :D. But I wonder if the engagement problem I encountered was caused by the o-ring losing its elasticsity under lower temperature.

Anyone else had similar experience with Extralite hubs? I believe all their hubs use the same o-ring sprung pawl design.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

anyway, figured out the problem.

I somehow used a YBN 12 speed chain this time but still using the 11 speed Connex quickline. That was causing the slip on the cassette every now and then. Finally figured it out when I was using the bike on the trainer and figured out the what the problem was.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com