New Wheelset Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RickySpanish

by RickySpanish

I asked this in the main forum but probably best to put it here:

Hi, I have a 2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 which has been a brilliant bike from day one. I've treated it to a new chainset and cassette and was considering a new wheelset also.

I have the Giant SLR1 30's just now which i've had no issues with and find them resposoive and light, i've only had to replace the freehub and 1spoke in that time.

I've been looking at the Hunt 36 Carbon Wide Aeros and the Scribe Aero Wide 38 Carbons. I guess the question is, will either of these be an upgrade on what i already have or am i best sticking with the SLR1's?

Cheers,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I would go for something at least 45mm deep to feel some sort of difference in speed/efficiency, else you'll only feel a marginal gain, if any.

Deeper wheels retain speed better and should allow you to average a higher speed.

Also need to consider the tyre width you will use, the SLR1 is 23mm wide, so will only really work well with 22mm wide tyres, if you ride fast. Some of these other wheels may be wider, but look for something at least 27mm wide to work well with 25mm wide tyres.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress