FFWD Ryot77 review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

First ride on my new FFWD Ryot77 wheelset today, and couldn’t have asked for better conditions to really test them out. 18+mph sustained winds with gusts up to 30mph Image And they handled it great!! I had a narrow 81mm wheelset on my old TT setup that was downright scary when the wind picked up, these wheels are absolutely nothing like that. I’d have no problem riding these wheels every day, and in fact I will be. Today was about as windy as it gets here, unless there’s a storm, and the handling was smooth and predictable.

Any time the wind was even slightly behind me, could definitely feel the sail effect. They hold speed really well. They’re on the “heavy” side, at 1830g (the 240 version knocks off about 100g), but to be honest, I didn’t notice any difference over my 1480g wheelset. One caveat tho, it’s completely flat here, which is why I decided to try out some deeper wheels, literally no elevation at all, so it’s all about aero and much less about weight. I’m sure I’d notice it if I had to do some climbing.

They’re 21mm internal, 31mm external. I have 25mm GP5000s mounted up, and the transition to the rim is nice and smooth (just moved so don’t have my calipers to measure, but the tire should be around 27mm), with the widest part of the rim in the middle. I went with the FFWD TwoOne hubs, which are their version of DT hubs (patent expired), but with bigger bearings. They feel just as stiff as the 240exp hubs on my other wheelset.

These are prob deeper than most people want, but with the way they handled the wind today, the Ryot55s or 44s would be great all around wheels depending on your preferences.

They’re 20% off with free shipping right now through FFWD’s site. Lifetime warranty and 5 year crash coverage. Came in a padded dual wheel bag, setup for tubeless, pretaped with tubeless valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com