700x28c clincher tire that doesn't take superhuman strength to pull on

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dialtone

by dialtone

I just got a pair of Farsport Ventoux S6 (19mm internal), and I'm thinking of going 28mm for tube and tire, and so far I got 2 Conti GP5000, but these tires are ridiculous to put on and now a part of it won't properly sit on the bead.

Are Pirelli Tires easier to put on? No joke if I get caught with a flat on the road with these on I might as well start walking because there's no chance I'll take them off of it.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

GP5000 are notorious for being a tight fit and simply will not work on some wheels. Don't not Farsport personally, buy have find Hutchinson to work OK on other tight wheels (eg. Mavic). Hutchinson worked with Mavic on the UST standard, so you might expect that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

While this is typically more of an issue with tubeless, in either case I would recommend the OP consider obtaining a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack or the Challenge Smart Bead Seating Tool (or any of the none name branded items on Amazon) for the workshop. My last tire change was a set of Challenge Strada HTR 700x30 and I doubt I could have got them mounted without use of my Kool Stop tire bead jack.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dialtone

by dialtone

Well, the hutchinson sadly isn't available on amazon for the size and tire I look for, only tubeless or smaller. I'll buy this bead seating tool which looks helpful and also try with pirelli and vittoria corsa g+ 2.0 and will see. Taking the GP5k off the wheel was also a lot of work that I would have gladly avoided if it even sat on the bead throughout, which maybe it could do if it sat on it for a while.

dialtone

by dialtone

Also just tried to put the 700x28c GP5k on my old alu wheelset that I used with lots of GP4k II 700x23c and even on that one it was significantly harder to get it on, while I could get the GP4k on almost by hand alone. So the GP5k on its own is a lot harder to deal with I gather.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Farsports has shallow center rim channel but it's still help installing and removing the tire regardless.
Make sure you utilize center channel all the time. Don't let tire sit on rim hook shelf while instealling/removing.

dialtone

by dialtone

Hexsense, can't say it was easy, but it definitely made the tire installation easier, not sure why I didn't notice it before... Still think that in the middle of the ride I might kill myself if I get a puncture but at least I think I can try this set of tires now on the road.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

To remove the tire, you revert the process. Instead of pull it out right away.
You push the whole tire circumference back into center channel first.
Then you'll have some slop to help removing the tire.

dialtone

by dialtone

yeah, it's kinda easy without tube inside but any tube inside with even a minimum of air makes the whole process harder to do tool-less but at least now I can limit myself to a single tool.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I have fit many gp5000’s and didn’t find them to hard to fit. Just make sure the tire is at room temperature and not laying in a cold garage. Schwalbe also makes a lubricant called easy fit, this might help you.

basilic

by basilic

Compass/RHerse. Supple, light, easy to put on tubed.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

in my experience, gp5000 non-tubeless is very very easy to mount on almost any rims i have come across. 9 out of 10 times, i can mount them without any levers. tubeless version is completely different story.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Tyre jacks are an absolute waste of time and money.

99% of tyres shall fit any rim (however, Mavic and Cont GP5000TL are an exception. Anything that takes that much effort to fit isn't worth it IMO).

Just make sure you're installing correctly. 9/10 the tyre bead won't be fully in the rim bed, so will prove increasingly difficult to fit.

FYI, new GP5000S TR go onto Zipp hookless by hand. Had to use a lever on the Rovals, but I norammly use levers since it just makes life much easier.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

MikeD

by MikeD

ryanw wrote:Tyre jacks are an absolute waste of time and money.
That's a curious statement. Saves my thumbs/hands and time. For that, it's worth it. The only tubeless setup that works reliably is Mavic UST. Everything else is a crapshoot.

vjswing

by vjswing

Veloflex Corsa Evo and Bontrager R3 clinchers (28mm) are very easy to deal with when punctures occur mid-ride. I've heard reports that Pirellis are equally easy, if not more so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com