135 g weight difference / Reynolds vs chinese rim wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BBres

by BBres

I have to decide between two wheelsets:

1. Reynolds AR 58/62
2. chinese rim handbuilt 60mm deep wheels.

I love the looks of the Reynolds, however they are a bit havy (?) at 1730 grams total.
Front wheel: 58mm deep, 19mm internal, 28mm external
Back wheel: 62mm deep, 21mm internal, 30 mm external.
Round sapim spokes (not even butted).

On the other hand, for the same price I can get a wheelset from a company which builds wheels with chinese rims, DT240exp hubs and Sapim CX-ray spokes, 1595 grams of weight. 60mm deep, 20mm internal and 27mm external width.

Which one would be a better choice? Is 135 grams difference the case to be worried about? Would I feel any drawbacks of round spokes? I will use the wheels in flat races.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

I actually have a soft spot for the mid-price Reynolds wheels. I owned a pair of Strikes, which are (I believe) the predecessors of the current AR58/62. They were great for flat and rolling road races in Northern California. I don't think this necessarily helps you choose but the Reynolds are solid wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BBres

by BBres

yes, the AR series might be the next generation of the Strikes. Similar weight. Quite heavy. Actually it's not easy to find heavier wheels. Anyway, I am wondering if 135 grams make any real difference in terms of the performance.

Thank for your feedback!

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

135g definitely won't make any real-world difference at all especially since you're planning to do mostly flat races. The bike might feel subtly snappier or it might not; I'd wager you'd be hard-pressed to tell. That doesn't mean it isn't worth having but real world performance differences are near-nil :).

ooo

by ooo

1. chinese complete wheel listed weight is very inaccurate weight, but if you buy separate rims - listed weight for rims is accurate.
I would choose between (brand complete wheels) vs (imported chinese rims build into wheels locally)
2. both 19-20mm is too narrow, current generation dura-ace wheels are 21mm internal, sram zipp are 23mm internal (at 58mm height)
it make sense to consider 23+-1mm internal rims
'

BBres

by BBres

The chinese-rim wheelset is built and sold by local manufacturer (under their brand). They gave me the accurate weight.

Actually I don't think 19-20mm is too narrow. I am going to run 25 - 28c tubeless tires. DT Swiss and Enve have 19-20m inner width rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I have a set of Reynolds AR41x's that have been a source of lots of issues. First set needed to be replaced due to bead hook cutting sidewall. I've also had lots of issues with nipples cracking (and then the clear coat starting to chip off). I bought a pair of ICAN aero50s as a cheap replacement when the Reynolds had to go back and have been using them now for over a year with no issues. They weigh 1357 grams and are about half the cost of the Reynolds. I ride in the mountains and have a lot of descents on them with no issues.