Scribe Aero Wide+ 50-D Opinions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Weight seems to correspond well with that of my 5060s. I weighed mine without valves, so I think it has more to do with the rim tape, which seems very thick, or simply that official weight is a bit of. Let us know when you have stripped the wheels :)

gSporco

by gSporco

Elmersen wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:54 pm
Weight seems to correspond well with that of my 5060s. I weighed mine without valves, so I think it has more to do with the rim tape, which seems very thick, or simply that official weight is a bit of. Let us know when you have stripped the wheels :)
Removed the tape.. double wrapped at 12grams a wheel valves 6 grams a pieces. Now sitting at 1505g fpr the set.. not bad but not great considering rhey are 50 grams off quoted weight.. maybe Im being picky that 50mm depth by 30mm wide wheels are 1500g.. IDK. I think im just pissed about the tires and sealant debacle
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Thanks for reporting! A little too optimistic numbers then. But still quite good given specs and price, so I'll settle with that.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

My FarSports gravel wheels are 1440g and measure 50mm deep, 24mm wide internal and 30mm wide external, ideal for 28c tyres. They're laced to Bitex 312 Hubs with brass nipples so not the lightest set-up. Total cost inc. shipping was around €700.

You can drop another 130g-150g and get close to/sub 1300g if you switch to Carbon-Ti hubs and aluminium nipples. The Carbon-Ti set-up would probably cost the same or close to the Scribe Aero-Wide+ 50D pricing and be significantly lighter.

They're also not drilled internally so there is no need for rim tape to run them tubeless which is another weight saving over other TLR rims.

gSporco

by gSporco

OlieSimpson wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:12 pm
My FarSports gravel wheels are 1440g and measure 50mm deep, 24mm wide internal and 30mm wide external, ideal for 28c tyres. They're laced to Bitex 312 Hubs with brass nipples so not the lightest set-up. Total cost inc. shipping was around €700.

You can drop another 130g-150g and get close to/sub 1300g if you switch to Carbon-Ti hubs and aluminium nipples. The Carbon-Ti set-up would probably cost the same or close to the Scribe Aero-Wide+ 50D pricing and be significantly lighter.

They're also not drilled internally so there is no need for rim tape to run them tubeless which is another weight saving over other TLR rims.
For over a year, I searxhed Farsports as I have heard nothing but good things.. I haven't tried these wheels yet and I already regret not going with the Farsports Gravel 50mm

But, Ill try and give these a fair chance
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero