Scribe Aero Wide+ 50-D Opinions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gSporco

by gSporco

Hey all,

Any Scribe users out there? Im looking at a set of 50mm From Scribe, 1448g with tape and valves, 21mm internal and 30mm external for $1000 USD with lifetime crash replacement..

Based on the reviews from the bigger named reviewers they seem very solid and aren't a run of the mill Chinese Carbon Rim.. They are apparently designed by Scribe Engineers and have them made overseas in their specs...

Negatives I see and read are the Freehub is extremely loud... but that wont bother me, or the people I dont ride with (solo rider, always)

Anyway, what are your opinions and suggestions? Im looking for 50mm, sub 1500g and ideally a front wheel profile that will allow me to use a 25-28mm tire utilizing the 105% rule

TIA weight weenie's
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Roozbeh60

by Roozbeh60

I've been interested in finding out more about them also. Their marketing has been going strong since last year. I see their ads on instagram all the time and that isn't cheap!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kofsw4

by kofsw4

I was looking at these but think it's better off going with a set of Light Bicycle AR55s which are 55 deep, 21 int, 30 ext, and $1200 with much better hubs (eg Carbon Ti X hubs). Weight should be 100g less too at 1343g. Downside is the lead time.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

I have ordered a set of 5060s as my allround wheelset. Hard to beat them on value, maybe except for LB and Farsports. Was unsure if I should go for the ordinary 50s since they are a bit lighter, but decided that aero (even on rear) wheel has the bigger effect, and I also have a set of shallower wheels available.
Last edited by Elmersen on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

double

gSporco

by gSporco

kofsw4 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 am
I was looking at these but think it's better off going with a set of Light Bicycle AR55s which are 55 deep, 21 int, 30 ext, and $1200 with much better hubs (eg Carbon Ti X hubs). Weight should be 100g less too at 1343g. Downside is the lead time.
Interesting option... what is the quoted lead time?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

gSporco

by gSporco

Elmersen wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:33 am
I have ordered a set of 5060s as my allround wheelset. Hard to beat them on value, maybe except for LB and Farsports. Was unsure if I should go for the ordinary 50s since they are a bit lighter, but decided that aero (even on rear) wheel has the bigger effect, and I also have a set of shallower wheels available.
Did you gonfor the 21 or 24 spoke option?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kofsw4

by kofsw4

gSporco wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:31 am
kofsw4 wrote:

3-5 weeks to manufacture + 2-3 weeks shipping to UK

Elmersen

by Elmersen

gSporco wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:32 am
Elmersen wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:33 am
Did you gonfor the 21 or 24 spoke option?
Sorry for the late respons, I did not see it before. I did not know you could custimize spoke count, so I went for the standard 21/24 f/r, which is what I probably would have selected anyway.

A bit dissappointed by real world weight. They came in at 1581 gram (1518 claimed). Probably because of the thick tubeless tape that came preinstalled, but the difference is a bit bigger than expected. Otherwise, they look great so I'm happy. No riding yet though.

gSporco

by gSporco

Very cool.. Im keen tomsee how they perform and hold up.. I have a set of Aero Wide 50+ 21/24 on the way.. should arrive after the new year..

I'll weigh them and provide an update as soon as I test them
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

ABogle

by ABogle

I almost bought these namely due to the price and width. Mostly heard good things.

However Cycling Tips claimed their wheels where quiet difficult to mount tyres on which put me off a tad. I ended going with the Parcours Strade as it has more spokes and the rim width is slightly wider at 32 on the front, so it should work better with a 28.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I just looked at their Elan Wide 50 (rim brake) - they look similar to the Winspace Hyper but a little more expensive. Has anyone used these wheels? How's the brake surface?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

floriansantana

by floriansantana

kofsw4 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:28 am
gSporco wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:31 am
kofsw4 wrote:

3-5 weeks to manufacture + 2-3 weeks shipping to UK
Actually they can be had a lot faster. AR55 rims with Carbon Ti hubs are available for quick buy. Can’t customize anything though, so you need to take the blank rim without decals and with spoke holes. I got mine after exactly four weeks.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Got my AR55 / Carbon Ti wheelset. Ordered on 26th Nov, delivered to me in the UK on 30th Dec, so ended up much quicker than their estimate. I wanted no spoke holes and drain holes so had to order them custom build. Weigh 1338g on my scales and the finish is very impressive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

So I finally received my Scribe 50+ Wide in the USA yesterday.. Ordered on Nov 25th... thanks Pandemic.. at least I got them though..

First thoughts, box had a big dent, was definitely concerned before opening it up.. but luckily no damage.

Wheelset was purchased during a Black Friday deal with free Hutch Fusion 5 Performance TL tires... however they came installed with sealant; which exploded all over the place (probably due to cabin pressure during flight). This really really pissed me off.. 1. I am extremely particular with my Kit.. I like to weigh everything, measure, adjust and do all my own work.. the fact I needed to take these apart and clean everything for an hour really got my goat.
2. I did not intended to use the tires, so I wanted them them in box so I could gift them or sell them..

3. Weight, with tape, tubeless valves and the latex residue that I couldn't remove yet came out to 1540g. Definitely way off of he 1440g claim.. I will strip the tape and valves and weigh the them.. hopefully they just over did it with several layers of tape and used heavy valves..but Inwont hold my breath.. at this point Im considering a return unless Scribe offers me something for my troubles.. If they make it right Ill keep them and use them for gravel or winter wheels..

Anyway, so far not the happiest customer.. but then again they are $1000 shipped no tax (so can I really complain). They are built well, trued and tensioned.. and the specs are a bit better than the new DA and Ultegra C50 wheels at almost half the price

More to come
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero